UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Gear in Cold Weather

They also had pants, I believe, in colder climates (but only in colder climates. Pants were considered 'effeminate' by the Romans and were only worn when necessity dictated.)

By the by, the "pants" were called Bracae or Feminalia. There seems to be some confusion over the distinction, one seems to have been knee length and the other full length trousers. In any case, the name feminalia is not endearing to a soldier's masculinity. they were not highly regarded

They are depicted on legionaries in several places including Trajan's column, Constantine's Arch and monuments of Marcus Aurelius and Antoninus Pius.

An aside on socks - in any weather - I and several of my fellow troopies found them problematical if you are doing serious marching with a full pack. (By which I mean carrying over 25kg more than 20 miles a day on a regular basis.) If you get blisters and they burst, the raw skin gets welded onto the woollen socks. Uncomfortable to march in, and agony to remove. You're better off with just leather, since except for really sub-zero weather, your feet stay warm anyway while you're marching. The last time I took my old boots on a serious walk was the three peaks in Yorkshire. That was a sleety day in late autumn, and (admittedly in a fully closed boot) my toes stayed toasty warm.

An aside on socks - in any weather - I and several of my fellow troopies found them problematical if you are doing serious marching with a full pack. (By which I mean carrying over 25kg more than 20 miles a day on a regular basis.) If you get blisters and they burst, the raw skin gets welded onto the woollen socks. Uncomfortable to march in, and agony to remove. You're better off with just leather, since except for really sub-zero weather, your feet stay warm anyway while you're marching.

A valid point, but most soldiers in the Empire, including those at Vindolanda, were garrison troops. The long marches when on campaign would have been the exception rather than the rule. Although they were probably used to walking several miles a day in the course of their duties, the long march with full equipment probably occurred very rarely. I would think those socks would have come in VERY handy, in midwinter, for the purposes of the six mile patrol to Housesteads and back.

A valid point, but most soldiers in the Empire, including those at Vindolanda, were garrison troops. The long marches when on campaign would have been the exception rather than the rule. Although they were probably used to walking several miles a day in the course of their duties, the long march with full equipment probably occurred very rarely. I would think those socks would have come in VERY handy, in midwinter, for the purposes of the six mile patrol to Housesteads and back.

I have never been further north than Leeds in winter, but would not deny that were I a legionary I would definitely feel there was a time and a place for socks. Mind you, I'd say that also applies to Milan in winter, and that was at one point the capital of the empire. Don't forget that even garrison troops have the ambulatoria once every ten days when the CO is meant to take his men of a jolly route march (with pack and dolabra) of 20+ miles. That's when I'd say its time to leave the socks under the bed ...

This might be slightly off-topic but I'd like to point out that there is a new book about to be published by Graham Sumner on the topic of Roman military dress, and its different styles and equipment throughout the Empire, and at different periods. Link:

Roman Military Dress

This might explain the use of socks and other items of clothing used by the Romans. Graham Sumner has already written several excellent books on the subject, a few of them for Osprey publishing. Maybe this book might shine a light on Roman gear in colder climes.

Romans soldiers had to fight in really cold climate in some parts of the empire. Often the frozen Danube was crossed by barbarians and the romans had to fight them. Sandals would have not been a good option at -20 C.

The following link shows the frozen sea in what was the roman port of Tomis. Sure Ovid had reasons to complain about his exile here.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1286199

... most soldiers in the Empire, including those at Vindolanda, were garrison troops. The long marches when on campaign would have been the exception rather than the rule. Although they were probably used to walking several miles a day in the course of their duties, the long march with full equipment probably occurred very rarely.

Once a week during training, and continuing during regular garrison unless excused duty. Vindolanda has a record of a considerable number of non-active troops at a particular moment.