UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ancientlibrary.com

The site seems to have been down for some time. It hosts William Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology which is an excellent resource to double check various references. Anyone have a clue?

AncientLibrary.com is back!!! B):D :D

-- Nephele

Thank heavens. I found the navigation on his site so useful, that I even offered to buy it from him while it was down... (never heard anything back), but I was fairly desperate. LOL.

Thank heavens. I found the navigation on his site so useful, that I even offered to buy it from him while it was down... (never heard anything back), but I was fairly desperate. LOL.

When AncientLibrary went down last summer, that was when I decided to purchase my own set of Smith's Dictionary. I really lucked out on that deal, as I got my 3-volume set (1890 edition) for the insanely low price of no more than $50 per volume. Plus, the set I got was barely used, as many of the pages were still uncut.

But, yes, nothing beats AncientLibrary for ease of navigation. I'll go back to accessing the site, to spare wear and tear on my Smith's volumes. (And I've no regrets having purchased those -- the gems among a few rare treasures in my personal library.)

-- Nephele

Dear Smith is back ? ...Yes !!!

Why they don't make a new edition ? So many things have changed since 1860 or so . In 1860 they thought that Brutus "the first" was a real person and now we know (O.K.,I think that I know) that his image is somekind of a combination of several people from the aristocracy who stood against the Tarquins etc' . There is a chance for a new edition ?

Dear Smith is back ? ...Yes !!!

Why they don't make a new edition ? So many things have changed since 1860 or so . In 1860 they thought that Brutus "the first" was a real person and now we know (O.K.,I think that I know) that his image is somekind of a combination of several people from the aristocracy who stood against the Tarquins etc' . There is a chance for a new edition ?

Try using "The Oxford Classical Dictionary", much more updated than Smith.