UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cannabis use in Ancient Rome

guy

I'm not sure how prevalent cannabis use was in the Ancient world (for recreational or medicinal drug use, as well as for clothes and rope), but this is an interesting paragraph I found from an article. (I apologize if this article was already quoted before on this site):

Rescue excavations carried out by the Israel Antiquities Authority in 1989 near the ancient city of Beit Shemesh uncovered a Roman burial tomb dated to the late fourth century AD in which were found the remains of a young girl of 14 years who died in childbirth (Zias 1995) Along with the body of the mother and unborn child were 7 grams of organic material which was originally believed to be incense. Subsequent microscopic analysis of the material by the Forensic laboratories of the Israel Police and a gas chromatography analysis performed by chemists at Hadassah Medical School showed the unmistakable presence of Tetralydrocannabinol, a component a cannabis, which indicated the presence of Cannabis sativa in the sample (Zias et al 1993) Ancient Egyptian literary sources provide the first written evidence (1600 BC) the this plant was used in association with 'mothers and children', which Mechoulam (1986) assumes was probably used in the prevention of hemorrhage in childbirth. Extensive research on the medicinal history of the plant by Mechoulam (1986) and others has shown that the use of the plant for a variety of purposes was widespread in the Old World for twelve millennia (Abel 1980). Studies done by British medical researchers (Christison 1851) on the medical efficacy of Cannabis sativa in the mid-19th century showed that the plant was medically effective for women in the final stages of pregnancy in 'increasing the force of uterine contractions along with a significant reduction of labour pain', thus explaining its extensive use in the fields of health, healing and childbirth.

http://www.joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm

I'm doing a short presentation on Galen later this year and I'll share other thoughts about Ancient Roman medicine later.

Edited by guy

Last year we had a thread going on cannabis and opium use in ancient Rome, as depicted in the television series Rome. It included the medicinal use of narcotics, as well. You might find this interesting (if you missed it before):

Opium Smoking in Ancient Rome/Egypt???

Also, if you're researching ancient Roman medicine, perhaps you might want to look into the purported use of electric fish as defibrillators:

Electric Fish Used as Ancient Defibrillators??

-- Nephele

Salve, Amici.

I'm not sure how prevalent cannabis use was in the Ancient world (for recreational or medicinal drug use, as well as for clothes and rope), but this is an interesting paragraph I found from an article. http://www.joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm

I'm doing a short presentation on Galen later this year and I'll share other thoughts about Ancient Roman medicine later.

Last year we had a thread going on cannabis and opium use in ancient Rome, as depicted in the television series Rome. It included the medicinal use of narcotics, as well. You might find this interesting (if you missed it before):

Opium Smoking in Ancient Rome/Egypt???

That thread mentions some Hemp consumer Scythians described by Herodotus of Halicarnassus.

Besides Galen, we can quote a couple of Roman authors on the medical use of hemp:

Here comes Caius Plinius Secundus Maior, Naturalis Historia, Liber XX, cp. XCVII:

Cannabis in silvis primum nata est, nigrior foliis et asperior.

semen eius extinguere genituram virorum dicitur.

sucus ex eo vermiculos aurium et quodcumque animal intraverit eicit, sed cum dolore capitis,

tantaque vis ei est, ut aquae infusus coagulare eam dicatur;

et ideo iumentorum alvo succurrit potus in aqua.

radix articulos contractos emollit in aqua cocta, item podagras et similes impetus.

ambustis cruda inlinitur, sed saepius mutatur, priusquam arescat.

"Hemp originally grew in the forests, where it is found with a blacker and rougher leaf than in the other kinds.

Hempseed, it is said, renders men impotent:

the juice of this seed will extract worms from the ears, or any insect which may have entered them, though at the cost of producing head-ache.

The virtues of hemp, it is said, are so great, that an infusion of it in water will cause it to coagulate:

hence it is, that if taken in water, it will arrest looseness in beasts of burden.

A decoction of the root in water, relaxes contractions of the joints, and cures gout and similar maladies.

It is applied raw to burns, but it must be frequently changed, so as not to let it dry".

And here comes Pedanius Dioscorides, De Materia Medica, Liber III, cp. CLXV & CLXVI:

"KANNABIS EMEROS

Cannabis is a plant of considerable use in this life fortwisting very strong ropes. It bears leaves with a bad scent, similar to the ash; long hollow stalks, and a round seed. Eaten in quantities these quench conception. The herb (juiced while green) is good for earaches. It is also called cannabium, schoenostrophon, or asterion; the Romans call it cannabis.

"KANNABIS AGRIA

Cannabis sylvestris bears little stems similar to those of althea but darker, sharper and smaller. The leaves are similar to the cultivated but sharper and darker. The reddish flowers are similar to lychnis, with the seed and root similar to althea. The root (boiled and applied) is able to lessen inflammation, dissolve oedema, and disperse hardened matter around the joints. The bark of this is suitable for twining ropes. It is also called hydrastina, the Romans call it terminalis, and some, cannabis".