UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Surnames of the Servilii

The Servilia gens, while counted among the gentes minores and consisting of both patrician and plebeian families, nevertheless was one of the most prominent gentes of the Roman Republic in its production of magistrates. The three princely clans of the Aemilii, Cornelii, and Fabii considered the clan of the Servilii to be of equal birth with them, and the Fabii had adopted a Servilius (Q. Fabius Maximus Servilianus, consul of 142 BCE) into their clan. The adoptive Fabian father of this Servilius, Q. Fabius Maximus Aemilianus, in turn had originally been an Aemilian who had been adopted into the Fabii...

...read the full article of the Surnames of the Servilii

Thank you Nephele for another excellent list. You know, once you finish all your compilations, we'll have to publish these in a combined format somewhere. :)

Thank you Nephele for another excellent list. You know, once you finish all your compilations, we'll have to publish these in a combined format somewhere. :)

Thanks for your kind words and continuing encouragement, PP! Publishing these in a combined format somewhere would be neat! Then I wouldn't have to keep putting links in each new list, leading to the previous ones.

-- Nephele

Quality as always Neph!!! :thumbsup:

I've never heard the surname Ahala / Axilla before, it doesn't really sound Roman if that makes any sense?? It sounds slightly barbarian to me, maybe gaulish or germanic?

How many of the Servilii gens actually carried this surname?

BTW, it's a great idea of PP's to combine all of your surnames into one easily accessable file somewhere. When it's finished obviously!!! ;)

Quality as always Neph!!! :thumbsup:

I've never heard the surname Ahala / Axilla before, it doesn't really sound Roman if that makes any sense?? It sounds slightly barbarian to me, maybe gaulish or germanic?

How many of the Servilii gens actually carried this surname?

Thanks, GPM!

Yes, I know what you mean about the surnames Ahala and Axilla -- they look rather "barbaric" to me, too! But they are definitely Roman -- and rare.

Smith gives an apparently complete list of all the Servilii Ahalae:

C. Servilius Structus Ahala (consul 478 BCE)

C. Servilius Strructus Ahala (magister equituum 439 BCE)

C. Servilius Structus Ahala (consul 427 BCE)

C. Servilius Structus Ahala (consular tribune 408 BCE)

C. Servilius Ahala (magister equituum 389 BCE)

Q. Servilius Ahala (consul 365, 362 and 342 BCE)

Q. Servilius Ahala (magister equituum 351 BCE)

Smith also states that we have only one person of the surname "Axilla":

C. Servilius (Structus) Axilla (consular tribune 419 and 418 BCE, and later in 418 also magister equituum)

However, Broughton names the consul of 427 as a sometime Axilla: C. Servilius Axilla (Ahala)

Kajanto identifies these surnames as belonging exclusively to the Servillii, and only during the time of the Republic from 478 to 365.

BTW, it's a great idea of PP's to combine all of your surnames into one easily accessable file somewhere. When it's finished obviously!!! ;)

I'd love to see all my Roman surnames lists gathered together for UNRV. It may have to be done before I finish this project, though, as there are many gentes with surnames to define, and I have no plans on finishing soon!

-- Nephele

I love your lists, sis. Who's next?

I love your lists, sis. Who's next?

Thanks, CS! I'm currently working on the next one -- I'll surprise you. :lightbulb:

-- Nephele

The three princely clans of the Aemilii, Cornelii, and Fabii considered the clan of the Servilii to be of equal birth with them,

-- Nephele

Spoken like a true Munzerian ! It is sad to read nowdays scholars pass criticism on his methods in so a hasty manner .

As usual, a full good list

Salve, Lady N

The Servilia gens, while counted among the gentes minores and consisting of both patrician and plebeian families, nevertheless was one of the most prominent gentes of the Roman Republic in its production of magistrates.

It is an intriguing fact that, even if the Gens Servilia persisted in the Imperial consular Fasti as late as the end of the II century AD, all the numerous republican surnames reported here by you (and presumably the respective families) seem to have disappeared, replaced by some new surnames:

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

It is an intriguing fact that, even if the Gens Servilia persisted in the Imperial consular Fasti as late as the end of the II century AD, all the numerous republican surnames reported here by you (and presumably the respective families) seem to have disappeared, replaced by some new surnames:

Yes, all of the surviving gentes by the time of the Empire were showing "new" surnames in their family trees. Part of it was due to the fact that these "new" family surnames may not have been previously recorded in history, but much of it was due to the fact that the patron gentes sponsored clients who eventually assumed their patrons' nomina gentilicia, while maintaining their original names as cognomina. Plus, names from Romans' maternal sides of their families were more and more being adapted as cognomina.

-- Nephele

....thanks Nephele for another excellent article!

Thank you Nephele for another excellent list. You know, once you finish all your compilations, we'll have to publish these in a combined format somewhere. :lol:

I fully second that emotion.

Thank you Nephele for another excellent list. You know, once you finish all your compilations, we'll have to publish these in a combined format somewhere. :lol:

I fully second that emotion.

Nice to see you again, CS! Actually, the Admin of UNRV have already started publishing my Roman surname series. Which reminds me that I'm way behind on my next entry in the series!

-- Nephele

Nice to see you again, CS! Actually, the Admin of UNRV have already started publishing my Roman surname series. Which reminds me that I'm way behind on my next entry in the series!

How much longer before we get to the Porcii? I can hardly wait!

How much longer before we get to the Porcii? I can hardly wait!

Thanks for reminding me -- I'd set aside one that I meant to put up months ago. As soon as that one's done, I promise the Porcii will be next!

Nice to see you back, MPC. People have been asking for you.