UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

And so it begins . . .

nubius

It is time to begin my personal study of the history of Rome. I would like to begin by reading a comprehensive overview of the entire period of Roman history in one book or series of books. I may chose to read books about more specific events in Roman history after I've completed the overview, but that question will answer itself as I progress through my initial study.

What would you recommend for me to begin with? I've searched Amazon.com for ideas, but I don't want to post my results here for fear that this thread would turn in to a critique of my uneducated findings.

nubius thanks you in advance.

Salve, N and welcome to UNRV

What would you recommend for me to begin with? I've searched Amazon.com for ideas, but I don't want to post my results here for fear that this thread would turn in to a critique of my uneducated findings.

ALWAYS A NICE PLACE TO BEGIN WITH

Are you kidding? Why would anyone ever post if we have any fear for the critique of our uneducated findings?

Yes, welcome aboard Nubius, and as Asclepiades just said, dont be afraid - ALWAYS tell us your views! As well as the excellent material here on the UNRV site itself, you cannot go far wrong by getting yourself a copy of 'Atlas of the Roman World' which has a summary of everything from the beginnings of the city of Rome right up to the extinction of the Western half of the Empire, and the continuation of the Eastern part of the Empire for a further 1000 years. There are lots of good maps and illustrations too, along with references to good primary and secondary sources.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlas-Roman-World-...6010&sr=1-5

This link also has some useful reviews. Three of the four reviews are good, whereas one is bad. But to be fair to the book itself, as an introduction I dont think you could do much better, and the bad review came from a history lecturer who thought the book did not go in depth enough.

Being such a massive subject, and covering almost 14 centuries of history, if the book had gone much more in depth, it would have been far too heavy for all but the sturdiest of coffee - tables!

Edited by Northern Neil

Thanks for your responses. I'm not afraid of what you might think of my uneducated self, I just didn't want to steer your responses in any one direction, that's why I left the slate clean to see what would come out of my request. After looking at the "Books" link on this website,

http://www.unrv.com/roman-books/index.php

would you say any of these books meet the criteria I set forth above? Thanks again.

Thank you Asclepiades, for the web link. I will be reading from that also, but I still need to have a good old fashioned book. The Atlas looks interesting, and I am not averse to reading an atlas. I've read a couple of great atlases in the past, so I'm not prejudiced against them, but I'm not ready to make the purchase yet after receiving only one suggestion. Anyone else?

Edit: I just found a more appropriate forum for this request. (Historia Romanorum>Colosseum>Libri). My apologies for not placing this thread there first. I did not know that subforum existed when I made my initial post. If a moderator thinks that this thread needs to be moved, please do. Thanks.

Edited by nubius