UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Antiochus III

Telamon

In your battle list, you state that Telamon was fought in 224 B.C., and I am just wondering where you got this info. I have seen 225 a lot, including in a book by Adrian Goldsworthy (the title escapes me). I just want to know what the ancient sources, which date is most probable, and why there is such a discrepancy between dates. Thanks.

ATG

Salve, A III

In your battle list, you state that Telamon was fought in 224 B.C., and I am just wondering where you got this info. I have seen 225 a lot, including in a book by Adrian Goldsworthy (the title escapes me). I just want to know what the ancient sources, which date is most probable, and why there is such a discrepancy between dates. Thanks.

ATG

The battle list is an impressive resource; congratulations to the admins.

AIII spotted a minor typo; dating the battle of Telamon is easy, because it was led on the Roman side by the consuls Gaius Atilius Regulus (KIA) and Lucius Aemilius Papus, being indeed their consular year DXXIX AUC / 225 BC, as we can easily check on the consular list of the 3rd century BC here at UNRV.

Salve, A III

ATG

The battle list is an impressive resource; congratulations to the admins.

AIII spotted a minor typo; dating the battle of Telamon is easy, because it was led on the Roman side by the consuls Gaius Atilius Regulus (KIA) and Lucius Aemilius Papus, being indeed their consular year DXXIX AUC / 225 BC, as we can easily check on the consular list of the 3rd century BC here at UNRV.

I'm going with typo here. It's a possibility that I made an error reconciling the fasti with chronological date reckoning via Livy or Cassius Dio, etc. but typo sure seems easier.

Fixed, thanks.

Salve, PP

I'm going with typo here. It's a possibility that I made an error reconciling the fasti with chronological date reckoning via Livy or Cassius Dio, etc. but typo sure seems easier.

Just for the record.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES