UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Capture of Masada

Yesterday 10/14/08, I saw an interesting program on the International History Channel. It was about the capture of Masada. I had to teach class, but my coffee was still brewing, so I decided to watch the tele. The program showed through archaeological research that the legion who commanded the siege was most likely Syrian in composition. They worked to prove this by looking at papyri that had been found near the site. I thought it was pretty interesting because that places detachments from the 10th Legio Ferentis rather than 10th Legio Gemina. So many people have believed that the Romans sent troops from one side of the world to the other to fight, in order to stop attrition and the A.W.O.L. factor. This evidence shows the Romans did in fact the opposite. You can look it up on Youtube.com and Historychannel.com

So many people have believed that the Romans sent troops from one side of the world to the other to fight, in order to stop attrition and the A.W.O.L. factor. This evidence shows the Romans did in fact the opposite.

Actually when thing went bad in a province the Roman tend to send a Vexillatio which was a detachment unit send to assist a troubled area, that way the war get it's reinforcement and the military defenses in other parts of the empire weren't weaken by the transferring of a whole legion.

Really? I've never seen Gemina mentioned in that context. :lol:

Agreed, it's well know that the legion who fought in Judea was Fretensis.

There were three legions initially involved in the Jewish War. Two had gone home by the time Masada was besieged because the war had effectively been won, and Masada no more than a desperate last stand by a group of zealots who couldn't accept it.