UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Influence of Eunuchs

Caius Maxentius

Biographies of later emperors like Constantius II or Honorius refer (pejoratively) to their susceptibility to the influence of their wives, courtiers and eunuchs.

What information is there on these eunuchs? What role did they play in the Imperial court? How were they chosen for the "procedure," and why was it undertaken?

I'm completely in the dark here; when did Imperial eunuchs first appear on the scene?

Biographies of later emperors like Constantius II or Honorius refer (pejoratively) to their susceptibility to the influence of their wives, courtiers and eunuchs.

What information is there on these eunuchs? What role did they play in the Imperial court? How were they chosen for the "procedure," and why was it undertaken?

I'm completely in the dark here; when did Imperial eunuchs first appear on the scene?

I think the first eunuch to achieve real political power was Eutropius, who in effect ruled the eastern half of the Empire from AD 395 to 400 (the emperor being Arcadius). He entered service in the palace after being recommended by the general Abundantius. Interestingly, once he had achieved power he turned against Abundantius and had him disgraced! He rose to be praepositus sacri cubiculi (usually translated as 'Grand Chamberlain') and took over control of the emperor after the fall of Rufinus in 395.

He was the first (and only) eunuch to be made a consul (AD 400), which hardened opinion against him and led in no small part to his downfall.

As to why the procedure was undertaken, you'd need to ask someone with a greater background knowledge in Eastern religious and political procedures, as I believe they first appeared in Persia. (?)

Caius Maxentius said:

Thank you for posting this question. My first response is "ouch."

That said, the eunuch Halotus was an official taster and chief steward to Clauidius. He is rumored to have poisoned Claudius with mushrooms, possibly with Agrippina's support. (I doubt this, however, since he continued to play a role in the Imperial courts of Nero and Galba after Claudius's death. Also, the time course of Claudius's death and death by mushroom poisoning is not correct.)

Strangely, many of the followers of Cybele and possibly the early Chrisitian theologian Origin were also eunuchs

I hope others can add insight to this interesting (but uncomfortable) aspect of Roman life.

Edited by guy