UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Linguisics, etc. Help please!!

Artimi

I am looking for an extremely basic book on linguistics or linguistic terms used in the study of a language. Among my various and shallow interests is cuneiform. I tried to learn some cuneiform symbols via the Oriental Institute in Chicago (a correspondence course. Do you know how difficult it is to find something this about Ancient Assyrian or Sumerian????). It was very interesting but... there would use terms I didnt understand. Example, logographic, elements, logograms, also things d supra(I dont know to type this) dutu, ca sub(same thing here)1.

For a general "intro to linguistics" book, I'm still a fan Fromkin and Rodman's An Introduction to Language. The explanations are clear, and it's meant for a intro to linguistics course. You can find this book easily both new and used.

For Cuneiform interests, you might want to check out Sampson's Writing Systems: A Linguistic Introduction. While I don't know it well, a friend of mine reviewed it and it was to his liking; he uses it as a reference to his Sanskrit courses.

Edited by docoflove1974