UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gladiator schools

Lanista

Hi, not sure if anyone has an idea about this. I've been researching this for a few days, and I can't really find any substantial information in Mannix, Grant, Baker, Matthews or Meijer. And the internet has been no help whatsoever!

In short, aside from the ludi in Rome and Capua, where were the other gladiator schools on the italian mainland? I see references to "over a hundred gladiator schools" in the empire, but can't find anything on mainland Italy aside from the four famous ones.

The Capuan one is very interesting, but again, I can't really find any information on the actual school itself. All the references are related to Spartacus, but I'd be interested to know what happened to the school post Spartican revolt. How long did it last - into the imperial period. What were the dimensions?

TO be honest, that's pretty in depth stuff...really, I'd be interested to find out about any schools outside of Rome!

Any starters for 10?

Cheers

Russ

The four famous ones were the largest institutions, and Capua was known for them, though I suspect again there were only a few major ones there. Other people owned troupes of gladiators and had them housed/trained on their villa grounds rather than a dedicated ludum. There were of course plenty of itinerant troupes, usually of low quality and reputation, who had no premises at all.

Edited by caldrail

Hi, not sure if anyone has an idea about this. I've been researching this for a few days, and I can't really find any substantial information in Mannix, Grant, Baker, Matthews or Meijer. And the internet has been no help whatsoever!

In short, aside from the ludi in Rome and Capua, where were the other gladiator schools on the italian mainland? I see references to "over a hundred gladiator schools" in the empire, but can't find anything on mainland Italy aside from the four famous ones.

The Capuan one is very interesting, but again, I can't really find any information on the actual school itself. All the references are related to Spartacus, but I'd be interested to know what happened to the school post Spartican revolt. How long did it last - into the imperial period. What were the dimensions?

TO be honest, that's pretty in depth stuff...really, I'd be interested to find out about any schools outside of Rome!

Any starters for 10?

Cheers

Russ

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

There's a degree of difference in what these establishments offer. Like any business premises, its going to vary in size and facility according to scale of operation. Campagnia as a whole was the region that italian gladiatorial combat comes from (Capua in particular as mentioned above). Realistically you'll get a few large schools whose owners have pretty much cornered the larger contracts and a number of peripheral, smaller ones.

For instance... Caesars Ludus was a mini-arena, with a sunken oval area for the practice fighting and training. The barracks at Pompeii (I've not been there, so please correct me if I'm wrong) appears to be a quadrangle surrounded by cells and storerooms.

I don't know if gladiators trained in the arenas themselves (much like modern sportsmen do) but I've seen no evidence of that.

There is a great documentary out there, which I believe was posted on these forums. It has some fascinated information on what gladiators' lives were like, using bones to determine levels of certain elements, and to search for marking left by gladitorial instruments. Great video, I hope you find it.

Antiochus III