UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Top Ten Ancient Capitals.

I looked at the picture of the forum temple that they used as the image for Rome. On the columns you can see the marks made by the cables where they tried to tear the place down during the renaissance. The job proved too difficult, so they made it a church instead. Interesting that one era's demolition site becomes another's iconic image.

I looked at the picture of the forum temple that they used as the image for Rome. On the columns you can see the marks made by the cables where they tried to tear the place down during the renaissance. The job proved too difficult, so they made it a church instead. Interesting that one era's demolition site becomes another's iconic image.

Chang'an, capital of Han Empire, by all means, equalled to that of any cosmopolitan in Rome.

• 2 weeks later...

Timbuktu not being included is kinda dumb. But I think having Cahokia in there is great--for its time in 1100 A.D. it could very well have been one of the greatest cities around. Perhaps I am being biased being an Illinoisan. Having Athens listed second I think was way too high. yes, it had the parthenon, but what else? some crappy huts and a couple of temples. The cities should have great wonders or great cultural buildings of some other sort. Or have something like a large population (like Rome, not like 25000). Athens just gets all the glory for Greece, and I think other cities had just as much greatness. Oh, and another one that may be worth mention--Palmyra.

Antiochus III