UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Donnaarises

A Book About Rome

I am currently reading a wonderful book comparing the similarites between Ancient Rome and America. It is such an fascinating book. Both Rome and America had a distrust for kings and the book explains why. It even goes into the history of Rome and the America to explain these differences and similarities. The following is the name of the book and the Author.

How Rome Built--and America Is Building--a New World Empires of Trust,' by Thomas F. Madden

I got the book through the History Book Club in which I'm a member. They have an website at www.historybookclub.com

Delicia

Edited by Donnaarises

Salve, D

I am currently reading a wonderful book comparing the similarites between Ancient Rome and America. It is such an fascinating book. Both Rome and America had a Distust in Kings, and the book explains why. It even goes into the history of Rome and the America to explain these differences and similarities. The following is the name of the book and the Author.

How Rome Built--and America Is Building--a New World Empires of Trust,' by Thomas F. Madden

I got the book through the History Book Club in which I'm a member. They have an website at www.historybookclub.com

Delicia

From the back cover:

"Thomas Madden shows us a different Rome that stablished security and prosperity -and trust- within the hearts and minds of millions in the mediterranean world."

I can't disagree more with the imperialist justification that the prey is eager to be hunted.

Unsurprisingly, the Roman expansion was done by war, with a good doses of genocide when duly required; even the "peaceful" annexations were basically explained by the threat of War. As any other Empire.

"Security and prosperity" (at least for some) is the unavoidable consequence of any stable Empire, even the Soviets for some time.

Madden is deliberately taking fear for trust; the trust that any empire will annihilate any rebel.

This may surprise Madden (actually, I don't think so) but no nation dreams wth being conquered; just ask the Americans or any other regular human (including yourself of course).

"No. We aren't Rome."

I can't agree more.