UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pessimism or optimisim for 2009?

guy

Well, 2009 is almost here. Let's all hope for the best. It has been a tough year for many of us financially. Many friends and associates have lost their companies, jobs, retirement savings, or their homes. Hopefully, we still have our good health, family, and friends.

Here are two quotes from Ancient Rome that reflect the conflicting views of the future--one optimistic and the other pessimistic. I think they can be applied to our world today.

Whenever I feel optimistic, I think about this line from Ammianus Marcellinus:

Mate, good post. Money and things, although important, are NOT all they are cracked up to be.

Family and friends and their love for you are your only true reflection of your worth on the planet. When you go, they are your immortality. Money doesn't matter snot, really. And if it does, then those you leave behind to argue about the will are focusing on entirely the wrong thing. I will leave memories behind me of a good man who did his best to make sure his family was all good. I will never be forgotten and not because I left behind riches, but because I bought my kids up to be good people who know how to love before they know how to spend.

Don't mind me, people. I'm drunk.

2008 was a good year, all the better for being a bloody hard one. I look forward to 2009 and wish a fantastic new year to all.

OPTIMISM. Always.

GO THE KIWIS!

Edited by cornelius_sulla

Here are a couple more Optimist vs. Pessimist quotes in Latin for you. These are taken from Winnie ille Pu (the Latin translation of A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh).

I quote from Chapter IV, titled:

"Quo in capite Ior caudam amittit et Pu caudam quendam invenit."

"In which Eeyore loses a tail and Pooh finds one."

(If this were to be updated, I suppose the chapter might be titled: "In which Eeyore loses his job and Pooh goes to Washington to lobby for special funding for unemployed donkeys.")

Pooh, the Eternal Optimist:

"Ior me," dixit sollemniter, "egomet, Winnie ille Pu, caudam tuam reperiam."

"Eeyore," he said solemnly, "I, Winnie-the-Pooh, will find your tail for you."

Eeyore, the Eternal Pessimist:

"Gratius tibi ago Pu," respondit Ior. "Fidelis amicus es," dixit. "Nonnullis dissimillis," dixit.

"Thank you, Pooh," answered Eeyore. "You're a real friend," said he. "Not like Some," he said.

As a child, I never really cared for Winnie the Pooh & Co. -- except for Eeyore. Eeyore was the only one of Milne's characters who ever made any sense to me.

-- Nephele

cornelius_sulla said:
Family and friends and their love for you are your only true reflection of your worth on the planet. When you go, they are your immortality.

Cornelius:

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

I love the hokey line from the movie "Gladiator":

"What we do in life echoes in eternity."

Despite the inaccurate stirrups, I thought the opening battle scene in Germania was powerful.

Edited by guy

I think in just two words Horace sums up optimism perfectly....

Carpe Diem..................Rejoice while you are alive; seize the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have.It is later than you think.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

I resonate to the response of Rome to Hannibal's crushing and almost total victory.... implacable denial of defeat by the forces against you!

Not mindless bravado, but a quiet steely determinism to take every step to better your situation, however modest. I am in awe of how Rome could do this, apparently not just from the top down, but as a society.

I love the hokey line from the movie "Gladiator":

"What we do in life echoes in eternity."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geTN89WCeBE...feature=related

Despite the inaccurate stirrups, I thought the opening battle scene in Germania was powerful.

guy also known as gaius

I guess Youtube has removed the previous video.

Let's try, again:

guy also known as gaius

P.S.: On the subject of videos. one of my favorite with the "Gladiator" theme:

P.S.: On the subject of videos. one of my favorite with the "Gladiator" theme:

I've not seen or heard this Mettalica track before, it's pretty good, thanks for posting. I still prefer the original score by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard though.