UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Is this the real great Marcus Aemilius Lepidus

Caesar CXXXVII

The style (ie the beard) gives me a 2nd century (AD) artist's rendition feel to me.

Yes, seems Hadrianic . I wonder why M. Aemilius Lepidus cos. 187, 300 years later . Who knows ?

Well, Lepidus was the original patron of Reggio Emilia where the statue is housed (originally Regium Lepidi). Perhaps this statue was a replacement for an earlier one that was damaged or of underwhelming artistry.

Well, Lepidus was the original patron of Reggio Emilia where the statue is housed (originally Regium Lepidi). Perhaps this statue was a replacement for an earlier one that was damaged or of underwhelming artistry.

Reggio Emilia is a beautiful town between Parma and Modena (formally the ancient city of Mutina where Octavius defeated Marc Antony in 43 BCE before the Second Triumvirate).

Reggio Emilia is home the of the famous Parmesan cheese known as Parmigiano-reggiano (after the cities of Parma and Reggio Emilia).

My cousins are farmers there. Not much to see there compared to other Italian cities, but great food.

guy also known as gaius

Good point . And if the statue was a replacement for an earlier one it realy allow us to have a glance on an early famous figure .