UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Diocletian or Constantine I froze occupations?

Ludovicus

Usually I'm pretty good at finding information I need online. Today I'm having trouble locating the emperor who made occupations hereditary. Was it Constantine I, Diocletian, or another late Empire ruler? I seem to remember that it was Diocletian. If anyone could supply a link, in English or, even better, in Italian.

Edited by Ludovicus

Usually I'm pretty good at finding information I need online. Today I'm having trouble locating the emperor who made occupations hereditary. Was it Constantine I, Diocletian, or another late Empire ruler? I seem to remember that it was Diocletian. If anyone could supply a link, in English or, even better, in Italian.

It seems that Diocletianus started the process and Constantinus continued .

"...More successful were the steps tacen by Diocletian, and afterwards by Constantine, to make all economic activity subservient to the military...the device used was to tie every man to his occupation and make it hereditary from father to son." (An Economic History of Italy: From the Fall of the Roman Empire to the Beginning of the 16th, Gino Luzzatto, Philip Jones, 2006) .

"Diocletian had already taken steps to ensure that most occupations and social positions became hereditary under pain of law...Constantine continued this..." (The Kindness of Strangers: The Abandonment of Children in Western Europe from Late Antiquity to the Renaissance‏, John Boswe‏ll, 1998).

It seems that Diocletianus started the process and Constantinus continued .

"...More successful were the steps tacen by Diocletian, and afterwards by Constantine, to make all economic activity subservient to the military...the device used was to tie every man to his occupation and make it hereditary from father to son." (An Economic History of Italy: From the Fall of the Roman Empire to the Beginning of the 16th, Gino Luzzatto, Philip Jones, 2006) .

"Diocletian had already taken steps to ensure that most occupations and social positions became hereditary under pain of law...Constantine continued this..." (The Kindness of Strangers: The Abandonment of Children in Western Europe from Late Antiquity to the Renaissance‏, John Boswe‏ll, 1998).

Thanks so much for the information and the sources!

Edited by Ludovicus