UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Beautiful Sounds of a Epigonion

You can hear the lovely sound of the epigonion here:

http://www.astraproject.org/examples/dufay.mp3

-- Nephele

Excellent. Thank you, both.

You're welcome.

Do we have anyone here inclined to pull together a list of musical instruments of the classical Greek and Roman world, with descriptions and accompanying mp3 links (if any sound files can be found)? What an excellent resource that would make for UNRV.

-- Nephele

You're welcome. :)

I actually just came across another article that outlines a few other ancient instruments "recreated". No .mp3's though.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle5870992.ece

You're welcome. :)

I actually just came across another article that outlines a few other ancient instruments "recreated". No .mp3's though.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle5870992.ece

Nice article! No mention of the barbiton, though, an ancient musical instrument known to the Greeks and Romans that I'd like to learn more about.

Fulvia, are you interested in putting together such an article for UNRV? Crispina, you mentioned you have some musician friends -- is ancient music an interest of yours? Perhaps even the two of you, Fulvia and Crispina, might want to work together on a descriptive listing of ancient musical instruments for UNRV?

-- Nephele

Crispina, you mentioned you have some musician friends -- is ancient music an interest of yours? Perhaps even the two of you, Fulvia and Crispina, might want to work together on a descriptive listing of ancient musical instruments for UNRV?

-- Nephele

I do enjoy listening to early music and have had very little exposure to sources of ancient music but it fascinates me. I am a musician who plays fiddle and some tenor banjo, old time stringband and Irish music - far cry from what you are seeking. However, several of my friends have studied music (unlike me) and enjoy learning about historical instruments and tunes. I hope someone steps up to the challenge of compiling such a list, it would be very interesting.

I find it interesting that no written music exists from the ancient Greek or Roman times, and I'm sure all of it was handed down orally from teacher to pupil over the centuries; but doesn't it seem possible that somewhere a musician would have made note of where to place one's fingers or how to hold the instrument (that I guess can be seen depicted on monuments and carvings) or something to the effect of: "Place a finger on this hole/string, lift off and place a finger on this hole/string, ect. ect. " to create a particular tune. Wonder why they never seemed interested in inventing a musical "text" like their alphabet? They wrote poetry, why not songs by using particular markings?

Nice article! No mention of the barbiton, though, an ancient musical instrument known to the Greeks and Romans that I'd like to learn more about.

Fulvia, are you interested in putting together such an article for UNRV? Crispina, you mentioned you have some musician friends -- is ancient music an interest of yours? Perhaps even the two of you, Fulvia and Crispina, might want to work together on a descriptive listing of ancient musical instruments for UNRV?

-- Nephele

I would love to give an article a shot. No guarantees how it will turn out but I'll research one out. Just let me know what you are thinking for it and I'll see what I can do. :thumbsup:

Crispina, I believe there actually does exist such documents but in fragments only. I have a few friends who are music majors and, if I'm not mistaken, there are fragments of songs found. The problem comes with properly interpretation the symbols and getting the tuning right because they tuned their instruments on a different scale than we do today. Unfortunately I have no way to confirm this to myself or you but if you are interested there might be enough of a lead to start something.