UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Marcus Aurelius - the first Guru?

Viggen

A while back (before my health deteriorated) i posted on my blog about how amazing i found it that there is basically non self help book out there that does not at least quote on line from M. Aurelius. (i remember even one Law and Order Episode were M.Aurelius played a big role)

Now ASCLEPIADES encouraged me to repost this entry here, which i dont, i just refer to my blog instead, however i would like to add another question; with all his insight and gurunesque smartness, and then also looking at what became of his son, he obviously failed to teach his son a lesson or two, so M. Aurelius, not only the first guru but also the worst life coach? (considering the insights and knowledge he had)

cheers

viggen

M. Aurelius, not only the first guru but also the worst life coach?

I had also wondered about that, but think it may be the case of "Those Who Can, Do; Those Who Can't, Teach." Think of the folks who are fascinated by (or employed in) psychology or marital therapy... aren't they the ones a tiny bit unstable or with 4 ex spouses?

If I look at my own talents, which are only about twofold but not too bad... almost all the success comes at a non-verbal, subconcious level. I don't mean artsy intuitive stuff; it is absolutely based on logic but the tactics transcend what can be itemized and organized into narrative.

Contrasted to my vast shortcomings, where I can easily reflect and think of more logical ways to cope, partly because I keep falling short. Sort of like sports where at one time you may get in the groove and dominate effortlessly and mindlessly, or at another time mess up everything and rack your brains for explanations and ways out.

P.S. I bought the new Hicks translation of Meditations and then heard it was a bit eccentric... anyone prefer another version?

Edited by caesar novus