UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Picture of the day.

Klingan

As promised, here comes some pictures. Some commenting can be found in the album dedicated to this trip. I'll be back and write more later, as I now will be attending "earth hour" (Forced). Starting of with a few more then intended as I was very excited with the camera today (336 shots taken)

gallery_1460_146_74031.jpg

The Colosseum.

gallery_1460_146_152595.jpg

Palatine Hippodrome.

gallery_1460_146_67347.jpg

Entrance to the Cloaca Maxima.

gallery_1460_146_66983.jpg

Frieze depicting a pig, sheep, bull sacrifice. From the exhibition in the curia.

gallery_1460_146_155979.jpg

Pieces of the Forma Urbis, right now in the Divus Vespasianus exhibition in the Colosseum.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day two, still cloudy but rather hot. It's very difficult to get good pictures in this light. Oh well, here's a sample of today's harvest.

gallery_1460_146_102680.jpg

Pantheon

gallery_1460_146_189679.jpg

Mausoleum of Hadrian

gallery_1460_146_49431.jpg

Villa Borghese Entrance

gallery_1460_146_187650.jpg

The Vatican

gallery_1460_146_90798.jpg

Vatican Altar

Day two, still cloudy but rather hot. It's very difficult to get good pictures in this light. Oh well, here's a sample of today's harvest.

gallery_1460_146_102680.jpg

Pantheon

Probably my favorite building in the whole world, the inside is simply breath taking.

Probably my favorite building in the whole world, the inside is simply breath taking.

We were unfortunately unable to go in today as a strange sect who worshipped a semi-divine person called "Jesus" had a rite in there. I'll try again some day soon!

We were unfortunately unable to go in today as a strange sect who worshipped a semi-divine person called "Jesus" had a rite in there. I'll try again some day soon!

How nice that the Christians in Rome should acknowledge their Jesus as being just another god, that they should worship him in the Pantheon, which is consecrated to all the gods.

btw, great pictures, Klingan!

-- Nephele

How nice that the Christians in Rome should acknowledge their Jesus as being just another god, that they should worship him in the Pantheon, which is consecrated to all the gods.

Its also nice of them to carry on acknowledging the old gods, albeit demoting them to the rank of 'Angel'. Its also nice that they carry on the old Roman ritual of deifying prominent people, even if the word 'Saint' is used instead of 'God'.

Pity you couldn't get inside on the day of the Equinox, when I believe a strange phenomenon occurs.

Pity you couldn't get inside on the day of the Equinox, when I believe a strange phenomenon occurs.

Is that when (according to popular belief) you're able to balance an egg on its end? I'll bet the Pantheon is filled to the rafters with religious egg-stasy on that day.

-- Nephele

Started working for real today, mostly presentations though. Got a dinner in 30 min. I had a quick tour in the city though. Was cloudy but the sun is shining now. Very warm still 22 degrees C when it's "cold".

gallery_1460_146_241258.jpg

Fontana di Trevi.

gallery_1460_146_125984.jpg

Sign at the Spanish stairs.

gallery_1460_146_238749.jpg

The Swedish Institute.

gallery_1460_146_273914.jpg

Inside the Pantheon. (No Jesus rites today :suprise:)

gallery_1460_146_123246.jpg

Roman (?) altar just somewhere in an alley.

gallery_1460_146_77231.jpg

My card says Doctor Klingborg. Should be Prof. by Italian standards though.

gallery_1460_146_9686.jpg

Covered in plastic, here it is - The mausoleum of Augustus.

Covered in plastic, here it is - The mausoleum of Augustus.

Do you know what they're doing? Cleaning/restoring or excavating?

It was filled with walls that looked like it came from normal housing and I also saw a sewer. It would seem like the dig have been abandoned for a while however and there were no signs.

Your photo of the sign at the Spanish Steps reminded me of another sign I saw at the Vatican a few years ago. :-)

gallery_4254_148_33036.jpg

Your photo of the sign at the Spanish Steps reminded me of another sign I saw at the Vatican a few years ago. :-)

Haha yep that's a classic too! But it's actually quite normal apart from the colors.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but does the Vatican have any major Roman artifacts apart from the catacombs?

You wouldn't be able to see the Roman collections in the Vatican museum in a week! It's a lot! I will probably take that this weekend, pictures coming up ;)