UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Picture needed

sonic

Hi all

I was wondering if any of you could possibly help - although I will admit that I think this is a long shot.

Somewhere in the Roman Forum is a defaced inscription which begins (I think) with 'FIDELVIRTUTIQDEV ....'

Anyway, it's on a monument erected by the senate to celebrate Stilicho's victory over Alaric at Pollenza in 402, and the interesting thing is that two lines - lines 10 and 11: the ones mentioning Stilicho - have been erased following his 'disgrace' and execution in 408.

If anyone has a photo of this monument/inscription could they please let me know?

Thank you

Ian

Haha is that a hint? :thumbsup: I will try to find it next time I pass by. Any time you need it by? And do you have any clue about where it is to be found?

Haha is that a hint? ;) I will try to find it next time I pass by. Any time you need it by? And do you have any clue about where it is to be found?

Honestly, it wasn't a hint!! No, honest!! :thumbsup: It's only after I posted that I realised that you were in Rome when looking at the pictures you posted.

Unfortunately, there is no clue anywhere as to where it is. All that is ever said is 'in the forum'. Sorry. If you can't find it, don't worry. Surely somebody out there will have a photo of it.

I have a little time yet: I don't need it until August, after which I'll become desperate!!

Ian

Thanks for the help guys, but unfortunately I can't find actual photos of the monument anywhere online - and it's the photo I need more than anything.

I'll just have to wrack my brains (won't take long!!) and see if anything else comes to mind.

Thanks for the help.

Ian

I will go down there again for you and see if I can sneak in. Might take until next weekend though.

I will go down there again for you and see if I can sneak in. Might take until next weekend though.

I'm not sure what to say. :suprise: Although it would be appreciated I wouldn't want you to get into trouble. Er ....

Can someone help me out? :unsure: What do I say??:ph34r:

I'm not sure what to say. :suprise: Although it would be appreciated I wouldn't want you to get into trouble. Er ....

Can someone help me out? :unsure: What do I say??:ph34r:

Check your pm's :)