UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pride, Prejudice and the Living Dead

Ursus

Zombies class up anything.

And, I think I shall declare 2009 to be The Year of the Zombie. I'm still celebrating my man's zombie story in History Is Dead.

-- Nephele

Poor Jane Austen, she must be tossing and turning in her coffin.

• 3 weeks later...
Poor Jane Austen, she must be tossing and turning in her coffin.

...and scratching and biting in frenzied blood lust :P

Hahaha!

Continuing with the Pride & Prejudice remake theme... Just tonight I watched the DVD of a marvelously clever television series from the U.K., titled Lost in Austen. It's released as a 3-hour movie here in the U.S. Here's the blurb from the back of the DVD case:

"A thoroughly modern heroine threatens to ruin one of the world's greatest literary love stories in this ingenious reinvention of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The acclaimed cast includes Alex Kingston (ER, Croupier), Hugh Bonnerville (Notting Hill, Iris), Lindsay Duncan (HBO's Rome), and Bond girl Gemma Arterton (Quantum of Solace). Bored bank worker Amanda Price (Jemima Rooper, The Black Dahlia, As If), literally becomes lost in her favorite Austen book after she finds a strange portal in her bathroom and swaps places with its heroine, Elizabeth Bennet. Once she gets entangled in the affairs of the Bennet family and the dashing Mr. Darcy (Elliot Cowan, The Golden Compass), how can she keep this celebrated romance on track?"

The dialogue is witty and the plotting unpredictable. Lovers, lesbians, and lunacy all rolled up into what would make Jane Austen (to quote the heroine Amanda) go "durrr...urrr... urrr... That's the sound of Jane Austen spinning in her grave like a cat in a tumble-dryer."

I give Lost in Austen two snaps and :) :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-- Nephele

Salvete Omnes,

Mmm, yes, I must say I am a bit skeptical about all this stuff here. (I'm a dry old stick-in-the-mud, I know)

Why satirize Sweet Jane ?

You could satirize Swift or Thackeray too of course.

I'll have to reserve my judgment since I don't know anything about the works mentioned here above, but I think you'd have to be a Real Genius to approach anything like the original. If you can do that, you have my blessing. Otherwise, there's plenty of mediocre and dead seriously ment stuff around to satirize.

But if that series / movie comes on I will give it a try. It's not a BBC production I assume.

'Alice meets the Bennets', as it were.

As to zombies giving everything a bit of class ... mmm, again, I'm not a zombiephobe, but there too, hasn't Emily Jane Bront

Edited by Formosus Viriustus