UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pirkis or Blessed?

tk421

Who portrayed Augustus better?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who portrayed Augustus better? (bearing in mind the character's age during the plot's timeline)

• Max Pirkis (Rome, 2005-2007)
    • Brian Blessed (I, Claudius, 1976)

Actually I thought Simon Woods who played the older Octavius in series 2 was a much better than Pirkis. He was a lot more cold and calculating than the wet lettuce character played by Pirkis.

I would also go with Simon Woods, his Octavianus was a cold blooded killer that would stop at nowhere to achieve supreme rule.

Brian Blessed is a good actor and his Augustus is much more "soft" and that would fit with his style since he became princeps however I couldn't accept him to be such political naive which was anything but the real Augustus.

This is like comparing apples and oranges! How on earth can you compare a juvenile actor playing the young Octavian, to a middle-aged man playing Augustus.

For what it's worth, Simon Woods did a very good job with young Octavian - despite some people on this very board 'just not getting' his performance. I wasn't enamoured of Pirkis, and blustering Blessed tends to be the same in many of his performances. He fitted the Gravesian model, but he wasn't an Augustus for me.

I have yet to see a fantastic Augustus. I'm still waiting - although I do remember an excellent Octavius in Julius Caesar back in the 1960s at Stratford when I was little. The actor - Corin Redgrave. I also remember a decent portrayal by Ian Charleson in a TV version of Antony and Cleopatra in the 70s/80s. I will never forget the sarcasm and sneer as he spoke the line: 'She will be buried with her Antony'. Nice stuff, and nice inflection there.

It's a bit of a restrictive poll, so I'll refrain from plumping for either of 'em. Sorry. And the link is obviously from someone who hasn't had a great deal of experience in watching Drama series.

Edited by The Augusta

I have to agree with most of Augusta's post here but where I differ in a small way is that I thought Brian Blessed as Augustus was brilliant. I accept he can be the same in a lot of his characters but this portrayal was as Augusta said played with the material he had at his disposal. Some of his scenes were electrifying and although he portrayed Augustus with a 'soft' side does it really matter? None of us were there to see the real guy in action so supposition of his character cannot be measured to any real degree of accuracy. Yes, I know, historians have chronicled is life and character to death but that doesn't mean THEY knew him either.

Anyway, the wet and somewhat offensive 'acting' by the other guy in Rome (the young lad whose name slips my mind - sorry!!) left a lot to be desired and made me cringe at times. It left me thinking if the dramas about Rome need doing then the Brits (sorry guys) are best at it.

On his own last day, Augustus said something like:

"Since well I've played my part, all clap your hands

And from the stage dismiss me with applause."

It seems no one portraited Augustus better than Caius Octavius.

And that, my dear Sylla, is a brilliant post! ;) Well said!

Brian Blessed is brilliant. But I must admit I like him even better in Blackadder. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIhBXR7I-c4