UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Claudette Colbert as Cleopatra

Nephele

The long-awaited DVD release of Cecil B. DeMille's 1934 Cleopatra, starring Claudette Colbert, is scheduled for this Tuesday, April 7th.

I'm excitedly awaiting the DVD release date of this movie (remade in 1963 with Liz Taylor in the starring role), and have already scouted out the bargains. While Amazon will be selling the DVD for $21.99, you can pick it up a bit cheaper ($21.26) from DVD Planet.

Here is the original (August 17, 1934) New York Times review of this movie, by film critic Mordaunt Hall:

Cecil B. De Mille, who has contributed to the screen such opulent films as "The Ten Commandments," "The King of Kings" and "The Sign of the Cross," presented last night before a specially invited gathering in the Paramount his widely heralded production, "Cleopatra." This current picture is one of the director's most ambitious spectacles. It has substantial, decorative settings, a wealth of minor properties, an imposing array of histrionic talent and an army of extras.

"Cleopatra" reveals Mr. De Mille in an emphatically lavish, but nevertheless a relatively restrained mood. He may not neglect to dwell upon Cleopatra's amorous behavior and has evidently preferred that she does not overdress. But, even so, the scenes wherein she is beheld are less blatant than those he has depicted of other sorceresses in previous films.

Claudette Colbert, the Poppaea of "The Sign of the Cross," is entrusted with the part of Cleopatra. She wears a dark wig and looks even more attractive than usual. She speaks her lines with the necessary confidence, whether they are concerned with love, hate or politics. When it is a matter of disposing of Pothinos with a javelin, she conducts herself with the coolness of a queen of the olden days. And when the chance is offered for a little comedy she acquits herself cleverly.

Julius Caesar is portrayed by "Warren William, who shines in his r

• 6 months later...
Cecil B. Demille? That reminds me of the Ten Commandments which I was given a few months back and I still haven't watched. I just cant get excited about watching a dated 4 hour biblical epic. Anyone recommend this film?

I watch these dated epics for the acting and cinematography rather than the story. Although I have to admit that DeMille's 1923 silent film The Ten Commandments, has some pretty over-the-top scenes in it. If you're a fan of Penn & Teller's television series Bullshit!, you'll recognize some of the scenes from that epic used in their episode on the bible.

The fairly recent release of William Wyler's 1959 Ben Hur DVD set includes the 1925 silent version of the film, and I recommend that DVD set. It has some excellent accompanying narration by film historian T. Gene Hatcher.

-- Nephele (pictured in avatar as Theda Bara from the 1917 film Cleopatra)

• 2 weeks later...

I have both versions of Ben Hur on the DVD boxset you mentioned. But I haven't got the 20s version of Ten Commandments (I didn't even know there was one). My main reason to watch the 50s version is to see the Egyptian scenes. From the pictures I've seen of the sets it looks very epic. Thanks for the info Nephele.