UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Caesar CXXXVII

Emperors and biographies

I don't know if UNRV have a full list of Imperial (modern) biographis and I think it can be very usefull, so without further words I will start chronologically with Augustus and ask you, dear members, to participate .

Augustus -

Lacey, W.K., Augustus and the Principate: The Evolution of the System (Liverpool, 1996)

Shotter, D.C., Augustus Caesar (London, 1991 and 2005)

Southern, P., Augustus (London, 1998)

Eck, Werner , Deborah Lucas Schneider, Sarolta A. Tak

Isn't it's a bit pointless? at least for the most famous emperors (like Augustus) there is piles of biographies that keep coming every year.

Edited by Ingsoc

Isn't it's a bit pointless? at least for the most famous emperors (like Augustus) there is piles of biographies that keep coming every year.

I am trying to understand your point

It is pointless to have a list of Imperial biographies ? Why ?

It is pointless to have a list of Imperial biographies because there are piles of them about Augustus every year ? Never heard about updates ?

And if it is pointless to have a list of Agustan biographis (God knows why) than what about Titus, Nerva, Caracalla or Valentinian III ?

And if you know other biographies about Augustus - Please list them ! It would be nice

To make "a full list" of all biographies would seem to me pointless as there always plenty of new books published with usually little advancement to the research with new views.

Perhaps this idea for a list will have more meaning if participants will include a few descriptive sentences -- a sort of snapshot review -- on each selected book, stating why these particular books are recommended above the many others that are available.

-- Nephele

To make "a full list" of all biographies would seem to me pointless as there always plenty of new books published with usually little advancement to the research with new views.

So, in your view it is pointless to right new biographies - fine with me (and compeletly against my view), but that was not my intention :P

I am not a biographer, just making lists, I believe it is usefull and would do no harm except to my boss (who is paying me to do other things)

So, in your view it is pointless to right new biographies - fine with me (and compeletly against my view), but that was not my intention :P

I am not a biographer, just making lists, I believe it is usefull and would do no harm except to my boss (who is paying me to do other things)

I repeat:

Perhaps this idea for a list will have more meaning if participants will include a few descriptive sentences -- a sort of snapshot review -- on each selected book, stating why these particular books are recommended above the many others that are available.

Caesar CXXXVII, it takes very little effort to compile a list of books on any particular subject.

A selective list would have more meaning here -- and that would entail the greater effort of explaining the strengths of each book you have chosen to include in your bibliography.

-- Nephele

-- Nephele

It is a good idea . I must say that I did not read all the above so it will be good to see why a scholar wrote an Augustan biography in 2009 for example, after some 30 others

Anthony, Everitt‏, Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor (2007)

I do NOT recommend this work.

While most of it is a fairly readable and competent treatment of Augustus, in the intro the author fantasizes about Livia poisoning Augustus, a hypothesis which he subsequently never again mentions or defends. The intro is therefore a cheap marketing ploy.

I agree but at least he had a source (Suetonius ?)

I forgat my first biography of Augustus - Ya'avets Tsvi - Augustus, the triumph of moderation, 1988 (in Hebrew).

Covered all aspect of Augustus' life (important) + a very mature (with out trying to make sensations) judgement of his rule and character .

Tell me any book on Nero that mentions his theatre in Neapolis (ancient Naples) and I will buy it! If possible, please provide a quoted paragraph where it gets mentioned...

Tell me any book on Nero that mentions his theatre in Neapolis (ancient Naples) and I will buy it! If possible, please provide a quoted paragraph where it gets mentioned...

Do you mean his performance there ?

"During the following year, AD 63, Nero performed in the theater at Neapolis, moden day Naples, which marked a turn in his confidence". (Nero, by Julian morgan, 2003, page 40) .

I agree but at least he had a source (Suetonius ?)

Nope. It was Tacitus the first one that mentioned the rumor ("the infirmities of Augustus increased, and some suspected guilt on his wife's part"). Dio elaborated on this theory and attributed Augustus' death to poisoned figs.