UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ingsoc

Septimius Severus adoption

"He caused us especial dismay by constantly styling himself the son of Marcus and the brother of Commodus and by bestowing divine honours upon the latter, whom but recently he had been abusing." (Cassius Dio, 76.7)

Obviously Severus "adoption" by Marcus Aurelius wasn't legit as Aurelius was dead since 180... and this move was made to give his dynasty legitimacy and popularity among the soldiers. however the thing I wondering about is how he manage to persuade the soldiers that he really was adopted by the divine Marcus?

"He caused us especial dismay by constantly styling himself the son of Marcus and the brother of Commodus and by bestowing divine honours upon the latter, whom but recently he had been abusing." (Cassius Dio, 76.7)

Obviously Severus "adoption" by Marcus Aurelius wasn't legit as Aurelius was dead since 180... and this move was made to give his dynasty legitimacy and popularity among the soldiers. however the thing I wondering about is how he manage to persuade the soldiers that he really was adopted by the divine Marcus?

I do believe the Senate legitimized his claim legally, whether coerced or not. Of course, anyone could see through such things if they chose to look deep enough, but we know the role of propaganda in such things. And... the legions were probably just happy with the donative of one thousand sesterces per man and ultimately to have one of their own in command.

I do believe the Senate legitimized his claim legally, whether coerced or not. Of course, anyone could see through such things if they chose to look deep enough, but we know the role of propaganda in such things. And... the legions were probably just happy with the donative of one thousand sesterces per man and ultimately to have one of their own in command.

I do have a problem with your answer, I think that the "adoption" was intended to court popularity for Severus with the common soldier, who probably didn't care much whatever the senate legitimized this proclamation or not. and I'm not agreeing with the second part of your answer, if the only thing the soldiers cared about was money why to make such a claim in order to gain popularity with them in the first place?

There isn't a need to "look deep enough" to see the truth as the adoption happened 15 years after Aurelius death. what I'm interesting is suggestion how Severus has manage to counter this "little" problem with his propaganda and make the "adoption" legit in the eyes of the common soldier.

By his own account the opportunist Dio began his literary and courtier career with a lavish treatise on Septimius Severus' dreams; it seems he had no problem in abusing his former benefactor. This passage must had been written (or edited) after Septimius' death, and we might reasonably infer Alexander Severus was not displeased by its content.

I do have a problem with your answer, I think that the "adoption" was intended to court popularity for Severus with the common soldier, who probably didn't care much whatever the senate legitimized this proclamation or not. and I'm not agreeing with the second part of your answer, if the only thing the soldiers cared about was money why to make such a claim in order to gain popularity with them in the first place?

There isn't a need to "look deep enough" to see the truth as the adoption happened 15 years after Aurelius death. what I'm interesting is suggestion how Severus has manage to counter this "little" problem with his propaganda and make the "adoption" legit in the eyes of the common soldier.

I think you misread what I'm suggesting. The western legions (save for Britannia) were mostly in his fold, and he brought those in with the adoption of Clodius. After the defeat of Niger he had them all save for those allied to Clodius... and of course once Clodius was defeated, the army was his in its entirety. Therefore, I believe the adoption into the Aurelian line was more for the benefit of the people and the consolidation of his political power. Niger was considered by many to be a "people's champion" after the murders of Commodus and Pertinax and Severus needed to counter this with claims of legitimacy and historical prudence (ie comparing his victory over Niger and Clodius in a similar fashion to that of Octavian over Antonius, etc.) It's just my opinion that his claims were political in nature and not necessarily a military advantage (though it obviously couldn't hurt either).

As for how he did it...

Severan Culture chapter 17 provides some initial insight