UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Books tracing the history of the various Legions?

falkor2k9

I would like to learn all that is known about the Second Augustan Legion (and all the others). No doubt this information will be contained in a book about the Roman army, but which one? The Complete Roman Army seems to be based on themes and aspects rather than chronology etc. Historians probably know next to nothing about many Legions, but still, with the help of inscriptions and other historical evidence, I would be surprised if no author had at least attempted to gather and make sense of all the evidence within a single volume?

Edited by falkor2k9

I would like to learn all that is known about the Second Augustan Legion (and all the others). No doubt this information will be contained in a book about the Roman army, but which one? The Complete Roman Army seems to be based on themes and aspects rather than chronology etc. Historians probably know next to nothing about many Legions, but still, with the help of inscriptions and other historical evidence, I would be surprised if no author had at least attempted to gather and make sense of all the evidence within a single volume?

This is what I have found about Legio II Augusta -

"This legion may have been recruited by consul Gaius Vibius Pansa and Octavian (the later emperor Augustus) in 43 BCE and was called Sabina ('from the Sabine country'). If this is correct, it first fought against Marc Antony on the eastern plains of the Po, and later, when Marc Antony, Octavian and Lepidus had allied themselves in the Second Triumvirate, against the murderers of Julius Caesar, Cassius and Brutus, in the battle of Philippi (42). A sling stone perhaps mentioning Caesar Leg II seems to prove that the Second was present at Perugia in 41, where Octavian besieged Marc Antony's brother Lucius.

The Second Sabine legion legion may be identical to the Second legion Gallica; if so, this is a clue to its location in the years before 30 - in Gaul. The settlement of veterans at Orange may confirm this. After 30, it was stationed at an unknown place in the north of Hispania Tarraconensis and took part in Augustus' campaigns against the Cantabrians, which lasted from 25-13 BCE. This was a very large war: among the other troops involved were I Germanica, IIII Macedonica, V Alaudae, VI Victrix, VIIII Hispana, X Gemina, XX Valeria Victrix, and another legion, perhaps VIII Augusta. In these years, the Second legion and I Germanica were involved in the building of the colonia Acci in Spain. Veterans were settled in Barcelona and Cartenna (in Mauretania).

II Augusta was probably moved to the Rhine after the Roman defeat in the Teutoburg Forest (September 9 CE). It was stationed somewhere in the neighborhood of Mainz. From here, it marched into 'free' Germania, during the campaigns of Germanicus (14-16). Together with the Fourteenth legion Gemina, it is mentioned as one of the units that was threatened by a sudden flood during a naval campaign on the Wadden Sea. After he was recalled, the legion received a new base at Strasbourg in Germania Superior, where the legion protected a strategic crossing point of the Rhine.

In 21, the Second was involved in a military action against two Gallic rebels named Julius Sacrovir and Julius Florus, which had affected large parts of Gaul. This victory was commemorated with a triumphal arch in Orange.

In 43, the emperor Claudius invaded Britain with II Augusta, VIIII Hispana, XIV Gemina and XX Valeria Victrix; the commander of the Second was Titus Flavius Vespasianus, the future emperor Vespasian. It was apparently split into several smaller detachments, which were stationed in several forts in the south-west of Britain. In 48, however, the legionary base at Exteter was built and the legion was again concentrated on one place. Nineteen years later, it moved to Gloucester.

The legion's behavior during the revolt of queen Boudicca remains unexplained. When governor Suetonius Postumius asked for help, the prefect of the camp, a man named Poenius Postumius, ignored this request (and later committed suicide). Its unclear why there was no legate (commander) who could make the decision.

In the civil war of the year 69, a part of II Augusta sided with the emperor Vitellius. At least one subunit took part in his march on Rome, and fought in the battle at Cremona against the legions of Otho. Later, these soldiers were defeated by those of Vespasian, and returned to Britain in 70. It is possible that the main body of the legion had always been loyal towards Vespasian.

During the reign of Vespasian, II Augusta was still in Britain, although it was transferred to Caerleon in Wales. When Gnaeus Julius Agricola was governor of Britain (77-83), it remained in Caerleon, as a strategic reserve in Wales and England. It was only in 139 that it was on the move again: soldiers of II Augusta were working in Scotland, building the Antonine wall (between Edinburgh and Glasgow). In 142, this work was finished. However, this line of fortification did not serve very long, and the Romans fell back on Hadrian's wall (between Newcastle and Carlisle).

In the years between 155 and 158, a widespread revolt occurred in northern Britain, requiring heavy fighting by the British legions. They suffered severely, and reinforcements had to be brought in from the two Germanic provinces.

In 196, governor Decimus Clodius Albinus of Britannia attempted to become emperor. The British legions were ferried to the continent, but were defeated by the lawful ruler Lucius Septimius Severus. When they returned, they found the province overrun by northern tribes. Punitive actions did not deter the tribesmen, and in 208, Septimius came to Britain, in an attempt to conquer Scotland. II Augusta moved to the north, where it shared a large fortress with VI Victrix, at Carpow on the river Tay.

Stone relief from Hadrian's wall, mentioning Legio II Augusta and showing its emblems (British Museum)

Under Caracalla or Heliogabalus, II Augusta received the surname Antonina, which meant that the soldiers were particularly dear to the emperor (both used Antoninus as throne name). During or the reign of Severus Alexander, the conquests were given up and the second legion returned to Caerleon. The legion was still there in 255.

It is remarkable that almost no subunits of II Augusta fought outside England. It may be assumed that they were sent to the Rhine or Danube or beyond, but there is not much evidence. However, the presence of a subunit during Domitian's war against the Chatti in 83 seems to be certain. In the third century, a subunit may have fought in Armorica in western Gaul.

In the fourth century, the Second legion Augusta was part of the coastal defense of Kent (at Richborough). It is possible that II Brittannica originated from a mobile unit of II Augusta.

The badges of the Second legion Augusta were the Capricorn, the winged horse Pegasus and the war god Mars. In the late third century, only the Capricorn remained".

Hello,

I'm sorry I reply so lately to your question, which I had seen both here and in my message box, but I wasn't able to answer it earlier due to lack of time to take a look at my books.

In my roman institutions courses notebook few bibliographical references are given but the old article of A. Betz "Zur Dislokation des Legionen in der Zeit vom Tode des Augustus bis zum Ende des Prinzipatsepoche", published in 1956 in the review Carnuntina, page 21 and onward, seems to be one of the main references.

My notebook also gives me the following informations ( M.-T. Rapsaet Charlier, Institutions Romaines part I, 2005-06/07 edition ) :

- Legio I ( Germanica ) = Lower Germania, dissolved in 70/71

- Legio I Adiutrix = Created at the end of Neron's rule in Hispania Citerior, then from 71 to at most 86 Germania superior, then Danubian border but exact localisation unknown. From 118/9 to 214 in Panonia Superior then, the border being redrawn without the legion moving, in Pannonia Inferior

- Legio I Italica = Created by Nero in 66/67 in Mesia, then Mesia Inferior

- Legio I Minervia = Created by Domitian in 83, Germania Inferior

- Legio I Parthica : Created by Septimius Severus in 197, Mesopotamia

- Legio II Adiutrix = Created by Vespasian in 70. Some years in Germania then sent to Britania before going to Pannonia around 85. Later in Pannonia Inferior

- Legio II Augusta = Germania Superior. From 43 onward in Britania then Britania Superior

- Legio II Italica = Created around 165 by Marcus Aurelius, Norica

- Legion II Parthica = Created by Septimius Severus in 197, Italia

- Legio II Traiana = Created by Trajanus in 101, Egypt

- Legion III Augusta = Numidia ( dissolved from 238 to 253 )

- Legio III Cyrenaica = Egypte then, sometimes between 120 and 127, Arabia

- Legio III Gallica = Syria then Syria Phenicia

- Legio III Italica = Created by Marcus Aurelius around 165, Rhetia

- Legio III Parthica = Created by Septimius Severus in 197, Mesopotamia

- Legio IV Flavia = Created by Vespasianus in 70, Dalmatia. From 86 onward, Mesia Superior

- Legio IV Macedonica = Hispania Citerior then, from 39 or 43 onward Germania Superior. Dissolved in 70/71

- Legio IV Scythica = Mesia Unitaria. From 56/57 onward, in Syria and then Coele Syria

- Legio V Alauda = Germania Inferior. From 69 onward, Mesia. Lost in action during the dacian war of Domitianus;

- Legio V Macedonica = Mesia. From 62 to 66 Syria, then Judea. In 71 back to Mesia, then Mesia Inferior. From 167 onward, Dacia Porolissensis

- Legio VI Ferrata = Syria. From the second jewish war onward, Syria Palestina

- Legio VI Victrix = Hispania Citerior. From 71 onward, Germania Inferior. From 120 onward, Britania and then Britania Inferior.

- Legio VII Claudia = Dalmatia. From 55/57 onward, Mesia and then Mesia Superior

- Legio VII Gemina = Created by Galba in 68, Pannonia. From the 70's onward, Hispania Citerior

- Legio VIII Augusta = Pannonia. From 45 onward, Mesia. From 70/71 onward, Germania Superior

- Legio IX Hispana = Pannonia ( but in Africa in 23 and 24 ) then, from 43 onward, Britania. Lost in action during the beginning of the parthian war of the 120's, as shown by an inscription from Nijmagen (Holland)

- Legio X Fretensis = Syria. From the first jewish war onward, Judea then Syria Palestina

- Legio X Gemina = Hispania citerior the, from 63 to 68, Pannonia. In 68, back to Hispania Citerior then, sometimes during the flavian period, Germania Inferior. From 102 onward Pannonia, then pannonia Superior

- Legio XI Claudia = Dalmatia. From 70 onward, Germania Superior. From 100/101, Pannonia. Then from 106 onward, Mesia Inferior

- Legio XII Fulminata = Syria. From 70 onward, Cappadocia

- Legio XIII Gemina = Germania Superior. From 45/46, Pannonia. From 101 Dacia, then Dacia Superior, then Dacia Apulensis

- Legio XIV Gemina = Germania Superior. From 43 to 71, Britania then Germania Superior. After 96/97 in Pannonia then in Pannonia Superior.

- Legio XV Apollinaris = Pannonia then, from 62 to 66, Judea. From then to 71, Judea. From 71 to 114, Pannonia superior and then Cappadocia

- Legio XV Primigenia = Created by Caligula. From 40 to 45/46 in Germania Superior, then Germania inferior. Lost in action in 70.

- Legio XVI Flavia = Created by Vespasians. Cappadocia. From Hadrian's time in Syria then Coele Syria

- Legio XVI (Gallica) = Germania Superior then, from 43 onward, Germania Inferior. Dissolved in 70

- Legio XVII = Germania Inferior, lost in action 9 A.D. ( Varus )

- Legio XVIII = Germania Inferior, lost in action 9 A.D. ( Varus )

- Legio XIX = Germania Inferior, lost in action 9 A.D. ( Varus )

- Legio XX Valeria Victrix = Germania Inferior. From 43 onward, Britania then Britania Superior

- Legio XXI Rapax = Germania superior. From 9 A.D. in Germania Inferior. In 45 up to 71 in Germania Superior. From 71 to 83 back to Germania Inferior. From 83 to 85 engaged in the war against the Chatti. From 85 to 89 in Germania Superior. Lost in action during Domitian's Dacian war

- Legio XXII Deiotariana = Egypt, lost in action during the second jewish war

- Legio XXII Primigenia = Created by Caligula, Germania Inferior. From 43 onward, Germania Superior. In 71 in Germania Inferior. Back to Germania Superior in 96/97

- Legio XXX Ulpia = Created by Trajanus in 101. Pannonia then Pannonia Superior. From 120/122 onward, Germania Inferior.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply but work/ family pressures have prevented me replying before now.

I note you particularly mentioned the Second Legion Augusta, you don