UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Titus Calidius - The most dedicated soldier?

Viggen

...great stuff :lol:

would it be fair to also include the time period and location? Wouldnt it be for some a rather easy life for most of the time (in perstpective of course) , while other legions at the same time, were in deep trouble constantly engaged in serious battle?

True, we can't determine his service time from the inscription, which is a shame because all we can do is speculate, but for someone to still be serving in the legions at the ripe old age of 72 yrs old is pretty astounding. Marcus Aurelius Alexander must obviously have put some serious time under his belt to reach the position of Camp prefect.

Let's just say that he signed up at the same age as Titus Caldius who was 24yrs old, which I think is quite reasonable,that would give him time served in the legions of an incredible 48yrs!!! He could indeed have signed up 8yrs earlier at 16 and that would have given him a service time of 54yrs.

Although we will never know I'd like to second NN and put Marcus's name forward for the most dedicated soldier!! :lol:

I didn't explain myself right; this inscription didn't say or imply that MAA was on active duty when he died; it's far more likely that he was a retired veteran.

As most military epitaphs, RIB 490 just states in which unit this soldier served and his age at the time of death.

No doubt Calidius' serving time was uncharacteristically recorded due to its exceptional extension.

Another example: the epitaph of Rusticinius Errenius (RIB 363, CIL XIII), from the Legion XXX Ulpia Victrix, tells he died in Lugdunum being 90 years old.

Edited by sylla

When talking about dedication to the army, I believe that we must take into consideration that many of the men who had served for 20 years probably had great difficulties rejoining the civilian life and thus preferred to stay in the army. It's probably not as much a question of dedication as a lifestyle. I'm being such a bore now ain't I? :lol:

No doubt the main incentives were status and economy; the net income of Calidius as a regular Centurion might very well have been ten times or more what he earned as an auxiliary Eques, and honorably discharged legionaries were recipients of juicy Praemia (bonus).

I didn't explain myself right; this inscription didn't say or imply that MAA was on active duty when he died; it's far more likely that he was a retired veteran.

As most military epitaphs, RIB 490 just states in which unit this soldier served and his age at the time of death.

No doubt Calidius' serving time was uncharacteristically recorded due to its exceptional extension.

Webster seems to think that this soldier died whilst still serving - or 'In Harness' as he puts it. Maybe the inscription gives some clue to this? Unfortunately I cannot find an image or verbatim quote from the gravestone.

EDIT: I just found this: D M M AVRELIVS ALEXAND PRAEF CAST LEG XX V V NAT SYRVS OSR VIXIT AN LXXII ...C ... ...YCES ET S ...

The inscription does not state wether he was serving or not as you say, Sylla. I wonder why Webster states he died 'Still in harness'?

while still looking for the promised informations, i found in Goldsorthy's Complete Roman Army (p. 73 ) the career of Petronius Fortunatus, late 1st/early second AD, tombstone found in Lambaesis ( Northern Africa ) with 50 years of service :

enlisted in lower moesia, Legio I Italica and was librarius, tesserarius, optio, signifer, all this in 4 years beffore being promoted to centurion by the vote of the soldiers. 46 years then spent in Legio VI Ferrata ( Syria ), I Minerva ( Lower Germany ), X Gemina ( Upper Pannonia ), II Augusta ( Britain ), III Augusta ( Numidia ), III Gallica ( Syria ), XXX Ulpia ( lower germany ), VI Victrix ( Britain ), III Cyrenaica ( Arabia ), II Parthica ( Italy ? ), I Aduitrix ( Upper or Lower Pannonia ), winning a mural crown and varius torques and phalerae

Also, well known, the middle republic soldier Spurius Ligustinus, some 22 years of service :

Livy Ab Urbe Condita 42.34 [The date is 171 B.C.]:

"Citizens of Rome. I am Spurius Ligustinus, of the Tribe Crustumina, and I come of Sabine stock. My father left me half an acre of land and the little hut in which I was born and brought up. I am still living there today. As soon as I came of age, my father gave me his brother's daughter to wife, who brought nothing with her save her free birth and her chastity, together with a fertility which would be enough even for a wealthy home. We have six sons, and two daughters (both already married). Four of my sons have taken the toga of manhood; two are still under age. I joined the army in the consulship of Publius Sulpicius and Gaius Aurelius (Cotta) [200 B.C.], and I served two years in the ranks in the army which was taken across to Macedonia, in the campaign against King Philip [V, of Macedonia who died in 179]. In the third year Titus Quinctius Flamininus promoted me, for my bravery, to be centurion of the 10th maniple of hastati. After the defeat of King Philip and the Macedonians, when we had been brought back to Italy and demobilized, I immediately left for Spain as a volunteer with the consul Marcus Porcius [CATO, consul in 195 B.C.]. Of all the living generals, none has been a keener observer and judge of bravery than he, as is well known to those who through long military service have had experience of him and other commanders. This general judged me worthy to be appointed centurion of the 1st century of hastati. I enlisted for the third time, again as a volunteer, in the army sent against the Aetolians and King Antiochus. Manius Acilius [Glabrio, consul of 191] appointed me centurion of the first century of the principes. When King Antiochus had been driven out [battle of Thermopylae] and the Aetolians had been crushed, we were brought back to Italy. And twice after that I took part in campaigns in which the legions served for a year. Thereafter I saw two campaigns in Spain, one with Quintus Fulvius Flaccus as Praetor [182, continued in office in 181 and 180], the other with Tiberius Sempronius Gracchus [father of the Gracchus brothers] in command [180]. I was brought back home by Flaccus with the others whom he brought back with him from the province for his Triumph, on account of their bravery. And I returned to Spain becaus eI was asked to do so by Tbierius Gracchus. Four times in the course of a few years I held the rank of Chief Centurion. Thirty four times I was rewarded for bravery by the generals. I have been given six civic crowns. I have completed 22 years of service in the army, and I am now over 50 years old. But even if I had not completed my service, and if my age did not give me exemption, it would still be right for me to be descharged, Publius Licinius, since I could give your four soldiers as my substitutes...' There was an official vote of thanks, and the Military Tribunes, on account of his bravery appointed him First Centurion of the First Legion. The other centurions withdrew their appeal and obediently responded to the call for conscription."

From what I've been able to check out, my candidate would be the extraordinary Marcus Petronius Fortunatius (an African?), who served exactly half a century.

After his recruitment by Legio I Italica (Lower Moesia) as a librarius, he successively became tesserarius, optio, signifier and finally Centurion across the lapse of four years.

The next 46 years he was transferred to no less than twelve additional legions:

- VI Ferrata (Syria)

- I Minerva (Germania)

- X Gemina (Pannonia)

- II Augusta (Britannia)

- III Augusta (Numidia)

- III Gallica (Syria)

- XXX Ulpia (Germania)

- VI Victrix (Britannia)

- III Cyrenaica (Arabia)

- XV Apollinaris (Cappadocia)

- II Parthica (Italy)

- I Adiutrix (Pannonia)

He received a decoration in one of the Parthian campaigns, but he was never ascended again.

He died in service; all these trivia come from his funerary inscription (CIL VIII.217 / ILS 2658).

Edited by sylla

Take a look at THIS site, it lists the genuine epitaphs of men who served in LEG II AVG, including Centurion Petronius Fortunatus Filius mention by Bryaxis. (edit) and Sylla.

CENTURIO[M.]? Petronius Fortunatus filius Enlisted in Leg I Italica.

Over four years held in succession the posts of Librarius, Tessararius, Optio

& Signifer. Promoted to Centurion by vote of his comrades. Spent the next 46

years as Centurion with Leg VI Ferrata, I Minerva, X Gemina, II Augusta, III

Augusta, III Galicia, XXX Ulpia, VI Victrix, III Cyrenaica, XV Apollinaris, II

Parthica and I Adiutrix. During this time he was decorated with a mural crown

along with torques and Phallerae. All recorded on his tombstone found at

Lambaesis in North Africa. He died aged 80 years and lived in the late 1st/early

2nd Century. His tombstone also mentions a son who died aged 35, and who served

as a Centurion with Leg XXII Primigiena and Leg II Augusta. (name-?)

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

No doubt the main incentives were status and economy; the net income of Calidius as a regular Centurion might very well have been ten times or more what he earned as an auxiliary Eques, and honorably discharged legionaries were recipients of juicy Praemia (bonus).

I believe that retirement was one of the really sought awards for long service and I doubt that any soldier could really use his pay in a constructive way (in effect, not gamble it away) while serving.

There is also the factor of how difficult the life of a soldier would be, especially for a old (as in 50+) man, retirement must have been attractive.

There is also the factor of how difficult the life of a soldier would be, especially for a old (as in 50+) man, retirement must have been attractive.

It's a double edged sword though isn't it, Yes retirement must have been an attractive thought but when you've spent your whole life in the legions surrounded by soldiers (obviously) following strict rules and regulations, the thought of going it alone would also have been an extremely terrifying thought too.

Plus if you've reached the ripe old age of 50+ then you would expect to have reached a pretty decent rank which would excuse you from the majority of the hardships related to life in the legions, so life may not be as tough as you think. You'd have the power and authority that goes with your rank plus you'd have the respect of the younger and lesser soldiers. Where as if you left the legions you'd just be another civilian just like the rest.

I believe that retirement was one of the really sought awards for long service and I doubt that any soldier could really use his pay in a constructive way (in effect, not gamble it away) while serving.

and one must not forget that the pay was also used to pay for equipement's upgrade or change, money was taken from the pay by the legion to pay for food, etc. : take a look at any book looking at daily life of soldiers of the time to see how much money could really be kept by a soldier... Goldsworthy's Complete army is, once more, a good start

When talking about dedication to the army, I believe that we must take into consideration that many of the men who had served for 20 years probably had great difficulties rejoining the civilian life and thus preferred to stay in the army. It's probably not as much a question of dedication as a lifestyle.

It's a double edged sword though isn't it, Yes retirement must have been an attractive thought but when you've spent your whole life in the legions surrounded by soldiers (obviously) following strict rules and regulations, the thought of going it alone would also have been an extremely terrifying thought too.

Plus if you've reached the ripe old age of 50+ then you would expect to have reached a pretty decent rank which would excuse you from the majority of the hardships related to life in the legions, so life may not be as tough as you think. You'd have the power and authority that goes with your rank plus you'd have the respect of the younger and lesser soldiers. Where as if you left the legions you'd just be another civilian just like the rest.

That was my main point from the beginning, retiring might not be easy when you were used to one way of living,with the respect that came from your experience. At the same time, I believe that most soldiers that survived their service did retire at some point.

and one must not forget that the pay was also used to pay for equipement's upgrade or change, money was taken from the pay by the legion to pay for food, etc. : take a look at any book looking at daily life of soldiers of the time to see how much money could really be kept by a soldier... Goldsworthy's Complete army is, once more, a good start

I wish I had time to read it, but for my I focus on visiting as many museums and sites as possible, there will b time to read soon enough.

Anyway about the pay, surly there was some surplus? I have a difficult time believing that the soldiers came out +/- 0.

Of course their was a + but it was hard to save much of it, as it was in later periods ( think napoleonic soldiers or even modern soldiers, who often have to buy equipement with their own money because standard issued equipement is outdated or broken ). Then came wine, extra food, money for the family if one had been created, etc. So in the end not so much money was saved. Thus any donatium (gift) or any money raised from pillage was a good thing for the soldiers.

Of course their was a + but it was hard to save much of it, as it was in later periods ( think napoleonic soldiers or even modern soldiers, who often have to buy equipement with their own money because standard issued equipement is outdated or broken ). Then came wine, extra food, money for the family if one had been created, etc. So in the end not so much money was saved. Thus any donatium (gift) or any money raised from pillage was a good thing for the soldiers.

Also you'd have to look at the mind set of many of the soldiers, there was a very high percentage that you wouldn't even live to see your retirement or enjoy the money you'd been saving so what was the point?? Carpe Diem, seize the day, live for the moment etc.

It safe to say that many of the soldiers had come from nothing and were enjoying it while they could, I'm sure that saving it for a rainy day would have been the last thing on your mind when the next day you could be going into battle and never coming back.

The examples above are of people that have made it to centurion rank or above and probably had enough money to join the equestrian order. They were enjoying large pay, power and much better conditions then a grunt so they had good reason to stay in the army. For most others veterans receiving a nice farm plot in some border province was their retirement plan.