UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Latin Via Ovid - A First Course by Goldman and Nyenhuis

Latin Via Ovid: A First Course

Norman Goldman, Jacob E. Nyenhuis

Those Romanophiles lacking proper schooling in Latin must take the pains to teach themselves the language. There are dozens of Latin textbooks in circulation. How is one to decide among them for the best tool in self-study...

...read the full review of Latin via Ovid

As well you should. Might as well give yourself as much notoriety as you can.

Good review Ursus. Although I did some Latin at University - enough to get me through simple things such as Chronicles - I need a refresher course as my brain is going rusty! This might be just the thing ...

I suppose that the big question anyone who has faltered before with Latin grammar may wish to know Ursus is that, having presumably worked your way through this handy text-book some time back, do you feel confident (and retained any degree of proficiency with) your use of Latin?

To be clear, I never actually used the practice workbook that one can optionally buy with the textbook. I just used the textbook.

As far as the textbook, I greatly enjoyed it and I stand by my review. But I have not done anything Latin related in the several years since the review and have forgotten some of the details. I can probably read some simple sentences, but don't ask me to do anything more.

I thought the review was good - could have been a little longer.

Loved this line: Unfortunately Wheelock's Latin does not commend itself to self-study.

ha ha ha

I do agree that to couch the lessons in mythology and other lessons is a better way for us modern people to learn Latin. I don't have any background except for biology (naming system).

I have to agree with Ursus' 2004 post here. Latin is much more useful to the average bear (no pun unintended)than one might think. I used a French accent while speaking Latin in Paris. It worked wonders. Try it.

Latin Via Ovid: A First Course

Norman Goldman, Jacob E. Nyenhuis

Those Romanophiles lacking proper schooling in Latin must take the pains to teach themselves the language. There are dozens of Latin textbooks in circulation. How is one to decide among them for the best tool in self-study...

...read the full review of Latin via Ovid

This is actually a great tidbit to know. I've been seriously considering re-learning Latin after a few years away from it and was thinking about digging out my Wheelock Bible of Latin but re-learning the same thing in a different way would be a great benefit to my style of learning. Thanks for braving the self-study waters!

This looks like a great resource to use for self-study before I take an actual Latin class. I'm currently studying to become a history professor and the Roman Empire is my personal area of focus.

...this review has now been updated to the new layout! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire