UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Trek

Ursus

Very nice movie except for the plot that I did not like that much.

Couldn't be worse than Star Trek I or Star Trek V. Or "Nemesis."

Or at least I hope not.

I'm going to see it this week sometime. Everyone I talked to who doesn't practice Star Trek as a religion seems to have enjoyed it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, went to see it yesterday and have to say I was not too impressed. I thought it would be interesting to watch it on the big screen as I was expecting Lord of the Rings-like CGI. But as it turns out, I could have saved 9 euros and just wait for it to be released on DVD.

Edited by Aurelia

The writing and the plot was not great, but at least it did not insult you or spit in your face. Also it was clearly made to make a splash with IMAX. I could do with a touch less flashy action scenes, and more content. Hey though, if the label needs that level of success though to keep going and inspire more attention then I'm ok with it.

Didn't I say it earlier ? All trekkies are gay.

Well I can't speak for all of trekkies, but I happen to love women of all kinds. Well at least I used to before my wife convinced me that monogamous marriage had it's advantages. Now I just sort of grin sheepishly as they pass pay from under the protection my sunglasses.

All trekkies are most certainly NOT gay.

Just the ones that dig on Mr. Sulu are...

sulu.jpg

The rest are hippies.

waytoeden_082.jpg

-- Nephele

RED DWARF

If you have to waste your time watching silly sci-fi nonsense, at least do it this way :

Star Trek wasn't always silly. But when it was bad, it was very, very bad. I haven't seen the new Trek movie, so I can't say how much improved upon it may now be.

For myself, I'm eagerly looking forward to ABC's planned renewal of the old '80s sf minseries V.

ABC Confirms Plans for New 'V' Series

The original "V" served as an allegory for the Holocaust and Nazi Germany. Peters said he won't duplicate that concept, except that the new "V" will still focus on what happens when the masses have blind faith in their leaders.

-- Nephele

Star Trek wasn't always silly. But when it was bad, it was very, very bad. I haven't seen the new Trek movie, so I can't say how much improved upon it may now be.

-- Nephele

Amen to that. Star Trek was plagued with:

- atrocious techno-babble that passed for dialogue

- militant utopian morality, combining the worst of 60's hippie excesses and 90's political correctness, shoved down people's throats.

- predictable plots that revolved around characters getting trapped in spatial anomalies, hologram generators, or some other silly sci-fi babble

Next to all of that, Kirk landing on a planet of women in mini-skirts seemed somehow sophisticated. Or at least more entertaining.

Yes, the boy scout mentality is the worst. The pseudo-scientific drivel you get in almost every sci-fi movie or series.

There are only a few really good ones of the first around and none of the last in my opinion, unless it is in the comedy genre. At best there are still a lot of inconsistencies. They are acceptable if the writers have at least made an effort. But most of it sounds as if they really, but really couldn't be bothered. The moronic idealism and the techno-nonsense combined, that's a bit too much for me.

Come to think of it, Star Trek has only one advantage over Red Dwarf : it has no laughter tape. That is always irritating even in a good show. It would make more sense to do it the other way around. That is why of course, Friends is even far worse than Star Trek : there is just as little to laugh about, but you get the stupid laughter on top every five seconds. Does that make an endless litany of lame unfunny platitudes seem funny ? Do they think we are that stupid ?

I must say I have never even heard about 'V'. Unless it is comedy, I can't believe I'm missing very much. But for your sake I'll give it a try if it comes over here. Can't promise I'll make the end of the first episode, though. (Unless you would make a camoe as a pharoah, of course.)

F :D rmosus

I must say I have never even heard about 'V'. Unless it is comedy, I can't believe I'm missing very much. But for your sake I'll give it a try if it comes over here. Can't promise I'll make the end of the first episode, though. (Unless you would make a camoe as a pharoah, of course.)

If you enjoy lizard-like aliens, masked as humans, who are revealed for the beasts they are when they eat hamsters and other small furry rodents in one single gulp, mate with their human prisoners and have lizard-human babies, and who also can't ever seem to shoot straight at human resistance... it's the show for you.

Despite the way that sounds V was actually fairly entertaining

...who are revealed for the beasts they are when they eat hamsters and other small furry rodents in one single gulp...

That was so cool.

-- Nephele

At least that one has the merit of keeping a low profile. I bet BSG stands for Battle Star Galactica. I have heard about that. But if it was the million dollar question, I couldn't tell you the first thing about it. And that's a good thing. I mean, do I really have to know who Captain Kirk is ? And Dr Spock from Las Vegas ? And Scotty ? And that he doesn't really say 'Beam me up, Scotty' ? Am I an anorak ? I'm ashamed of myself.

To my credit : I don't know what he really does say, and I couldn't care less. And to my credit also : most of what I know about it I have from second hand sources, not from watching the show itself.

Same thing with Dr Who. Well, you can't help but know that there is a phone booth that is also a time machine, that they have these evil but stupid vacuum cleaners with metallic voices and that meanwhile about every single British actor has played the role of the Doctor. You can't help but know that. It is front page news. Though god knows why. I think I may have seen one or two episodes completely and for the rest ten minutes or so every other year by accident. At least there seems to be just a little bit of fun in it from time to time. But really, be honest : those movies and series's are meant for 12 year olds, aren't they ? So only Nephe has a valid excuse.