UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"to strike terror in the hearts of our foes"

Jauchart

I recently came across a quote attributed to Cassius Dio to the effect that Romans built great monuments "to strike terror in the hearts of our foes and awe in the hearts of our allies." Can anyone provide a more specific citation?

Translations will vary from text to text, but it's a "quote" by Agrippa to Augustus (pre final settlement) in 29 BC

Adorn this capital with utter disregard of expense and make it magnificent with festivals of every kind. For it is fitting that we who rule over many people should surpass all men in all things, and brilliance of this sort, also, tends in a way to inspire our allies with respect for us and our enemies with terror.

I put quote in parentheses because Dio, my personal favorite ancient historian, is well known for quoting important figures in rather long speeches with a certain dramatic flair.

From Cassius Dio Book 52.30

I recently came across a quote attributed to Cassius Dio to the effect that Romans built great monuments "to strike terror in the hearts of our foes and awe in the hearts of our allies." Can anyone provide a more specific citation?

Translations will vary from text to text, but it's a "quote" by Agrippa to Augustus (pre final settlement) in 29 BC

Adorn this capital with utter disregard of expense and make it magnificent with festivals of every kind. For it is fitting that we who rule over many people should surpass all men in all things, and brilliance of this sort, also, tends in a way to inspire our allies with respect for us and our enemies with terror.

I put quote in parentheses because Dio, my personal favorite ancient historian, is well known for quoting important figures in rather long speeches with a certain dramatic flair.

From Cassius Dio Book 52.30

Nice spotting.

However, it's actually "Maecenas" who is declaring what was quoted above (Dio 52,30), answering "Agrippa"

• 3 weeks later...
In any case, both speeches are almost surely fictional, expressing Dio's own politic opinions, as PP pointed out; our Severan historian clearly agrees with the authoritarian praise of "Maecenas" and used "Agrippa" as an opening antithesis.

The speeches may be fictitious like almost all speeches written down by ancient historians. But it's not the expression of one man's political opinion here, but rather stating an almost universal truth. From the ancient Egyptians to the USA, all major powers -- and most minor ones -- have used monuments and architecture as a means to impress their own citizens, their allies and their enemies. In that order, I would say.

If not for that most capital cities would look pretty boring.

I think Cassius Dio has an educational rather than a political agenda here : to explain to an audience, less sophisticated than a 21

In any case, both speeches are almost surely fictional, expressing Dio's own politic opinions, as PP pointed out; our Severan historian clearly agrees with the authoritarian praise of "Maecenas" and used "Agrippa" as an opening antithesis.

The speeches may be fictitious like almost all speeches written down by ancient historians. But it's not the expression of one man's political opinion here, but rather stating an almost universal truth. From the ancient Egyptians to the USA, all major powers -- and most minor ones -- have used monuments and architecture as a means to impress their own citizens, their allies and their enemies. In that order, I would say.

If not for that most capital cities would look pretty boring.

I think Cassius Dio has an educational rather than a political agenda here : to explain to an audience, less sophisticated than a 21

Edited by sylla