UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Book Review - Livia, First Lady of Imperial Rome

Viggen

Excellent review!

I'm going to order this book now.

Great review Augusta,

I'll put that book on my list, it's good to get a different perspective of someone who probably 99% of people believed to be a woman who was responsible for the deaths of many members of her own family.

Great review Augusta,

I'll put that book on my list, it's good to get a different perspective of someone who probably 99% of people believed to be a woman who was responsible for the deaths of many members of her own family.

Thank you - I can recommend this one, if only - as I said in the review - because it is the first biography of Livia in the English language at all! Barrett is drawn to 'controversial' figures: I have his 'Caligula' on my shelves, which I have not yet read, but intend to very soon, and he has also written a biography/study of the younger Agrippina which may be worth a look. As I say, I cannot yet recommend these other works as I haven't read them myself, but I admire the way he strips away the sensationalism and malign tradition without descending into panegyric.

• 3 weeks later...
Barrett is drawn to 'controversial' figures: I have his 'Caligula' on my shelves, which I have not yet read, but intend to very soon, and he has also written a biography/study of the younger Agrippina which may be worth a look.

I have read his biography on Agrippina--mostly for its continual reference to Julia--and I have to say that it's excellently done. Agrippina is another figure that has been cast in a villanous shade by Robert Graves, and though she's a bit more deserving of that claim, Barrett does present a very fair and convincing portrait of her.

I enjoyed reading his books on Livia and Agrippina. Since he likes controversial figures, I am really hoping he'll tackle Julia soon. The only biography on her that I know of--Julia Augusti--doesn't have anything in it of particular value. It's a great disappointment.

Edited by Julia C