UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Recommendations

Ursus

I recommend the book I'm currently reading (which I've been referencing in the "Jews in Rome" topic over in the Monotheism subforum of the Templum Romae forum): The Jews in the Roman World, by Michael Grant (Dorset Press, 1973).

EDIT: I figured it would be helpful if I added a description of this book:

Written by classical historian and academician Michael Grant, the scope of this scholarly work covers the history of the Jewish people in the Roman Empire from their beginnings preceding the advent of the Romans through to the 7th century CE. It includes their liberation from the Greeks, divisions in Judaism in Maccabaean times, how they lived in the city of Rome itself, the kingship of Herod the Great, "problems of Pontius Pilate" and the historical Jesus and Paul, the wars against the Romans, and Jewish survival in the first centuries of the Christian era. The book includes some maps (in black and white), notes, extensive bibliography, index, and tables displaying the family trees of the Maccabees, Herod the Great, and Augustus Caesar.

Published in 1973, this book is currently out-of-print. Used copies can be purchased through Amazon and AbeBooks.

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

I too will recommend the book that I'm currently reading: The Life Of Belisarius - The Last Great General Of Rome by Lord Mahon.

Originally published in 1829, it's a fascinating insight into the life of a late Byzantine general and his turbulent relationship with the Emperor Justinian. For those like myself with a limited knowledge of the Byzantine era it's very informative and i would highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belisarius-Great-G...TF8&s=books

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Here's a short list of some of the books I most enjoyed:

• Imperial Rome and the Christian Triumph, by Jas Elsner
  • On Roman Time: The Codex Calendar of 354, by Michele Renee Salzman
  • The Politics of Latin Literature, by Thomas Habinek
  • The Power of Images in the Age of Augustus, by Paul Zanker
  • Religions of Rome (Vols 1&2), by Beard, North & Price
  • The World of Late Antiquity, by Peter Brown
  • Pompeii (fiction), by Robert Harris

I have just recieved the prize I won on this forum, Pompey the Great by Robin Seager.

From the 20 pages I have already read I can state that it is full of facts without being dry. A real treat.

Pharsalus, 48 BC: Caesar and Pompey - Clash of the Titans by Simon Sheppard is an excellent book which details this famous battle. The maps that come with it are some of the best I've seen - they include troop movements on a 3D gridline. There are also numerous photographs of the battlefield. The book also contains many original illustrations of legionnaires in battle by Adam Hook. I'm also reading Cleopatra by Michael Grant, which is excellenty written, as is all the books by him.

I'd also recommend Pompeii by Peter Connolly, which is brilliantly illustrated as well as being informative. The book was originally intended for children/young adults, so it's rather short and easy to read.

The book that UNRV kindly game me that I am currently reading, could do a review sometime: The Constitution of the Roman Republic by: Andrew Lintott. It got really good reviews and something you would be very interested with it you like Roman government.

Another great book I read was Rome by: M. Rostovtzef that outlines greatly the history of the Roman Empire from the beginning to the end.

Party Politics in the Age of Caesar, by Lily Ross Taylor. More than any other book, it turned me on to Roman history.

Isn't that a contradiction in terms, MPC ?

I thought there were no political parties in Rome and temporary alliances were made on the basis of individual ambitions and issues.

Life and Leisure in Ancient Rome

Brief, one volume work that contains a hefty amount of information there to open up the social enviroment in Rome from the republican times to the 5th century. Although it focuses mainly on the early empire.

Edited by Divi Filius

I recommend reading Peter Heather's "The Fall of the Roman Empire"- a brilliant analysis combined with colourful narrative on the perennial question of Rome's demise.

I also suggest Graham Webster's "The Roman Imperial Army of the first and second centuries AD" for the archaeologist's investigation into the Roman legions.

I also recommend Peter Connoly's illustrated books on the : "The Roman Army", "Hannibal and the Enemies of Rome", and "The Ancient Greece of Odysseus".

Though it is quite dated, The illustrated encyclopedia: "Warfare in the Classical World: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons, Warriors and Warfare in the Ancient Civilisations of Greece and Rome" is still a good compendium of ancient military knowledge.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your suggestions. I took none to heart, but the thought was nonetheless greatly appreciated.

I have one book review in queue, and I believe that shall be it for awhile. The weather is becoming nicer and I believe it is time to enjoy the fresh air with my new favorite playmate.

... That is, unless Viggen returns and posts some fascinating new books available in March for reasonable prices.