UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Klingan

Book recommendation needed.

My interest for Hercules, his labours, deeds and other adventures has been growing lately, yet I've been unable to find a good book on the matter and I will soon take drastic measures to still my hunger (read: wikipedia).

Therefore, if anyone has read a good book about the hero, please step forward and recommend it!

Thanks,

Klingan

My interest for Hercules, his labours, deeds and other adventures has been growing lately, yet I've been unable to find a good book on the matter and I will soon take drastic measures to still my hunger (read: wikipedia).

Therefore, if anyone has read a good book about the hero, please step forward and recommend it!

Thanks,

Klingan

While waiting for better options from other UNRV members, I would suggest (if you have not already done it):

- to thoroughly read the HERACLES article of W.Smith's "Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology";

- to carefully check on its referred primary sources.

Edited by sylla

While not specifically about Hercules, it might be worth checking out Thomas Bulfinch's Myths of Greece and Rome if you have an interest in Myhtology. It does cover Hercules in the book.

Thank you, everyone! The myths around Hercules are obvious (as I expected) very complex and it'll take some time to go through this properly, but it should be fruitful considering all the references to him in art and literature.