UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Titles and positions

lothia

Ave civitas,

I am reading "Constantine and Eusebius" by Timothy Barnes.

There is a few lines that left me confused. I am hoping that someone can clarify the duties of these positions:

--- A letter which he (Constantine) wrote early in 313 reveals that Patricius, the vicarius of Africa, Anullimus, the proconsul, and Heraclides, the procurator of the imperial estates, had standing instructions to provide money to the bishop of Carthage on request - which they had received from Constantine in person. ---

Now,

I know what a Vicarius is. Similar to a governor, but of a Diocese instead of a province.

I know what the procurator of the imperial estates did, managed the upkeep, record the income, and handled other matters concerning "federal" lands.

What I do not know is, What did the procurator do? Was he the military commander? Or was he something else.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

As you noted, the vicarius was the "governor" of the Diocese of Africa, and the procurator was probably the manager of the Imperial estates (the res privata) in the province of Africa. The proconsul was likely the governor of the province of Africa. Certain provinces like Africa and Asia had senatorial governors of high status who were ex-consuls, just as in the days of the Republic. The res privata had a complex heirarchy of managers with a magister or rationalis for each diocese and procurators for each province. The procurators, as you say, leased out the imperial properties, collected, accounted for and forwarded the rents, handled upkeep and resolved any legal problems.

The military functions were by this time separate from the civil, financial and jurisdictional functions of provincial governors and were carried out by a dux or comes.

Edited by Pompieus

Ave,

Thank you very much. The position of Provincial Governor completely slipped my mind. And, of course, the governor of the province where Carthage was situated would be the one the book was talking about.

Thanks again.

Me.