UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
JGolomb

"Ben-Hur" Live in UK

Ben-Hur rides again as breathtaking gladiator fights are performed for live audiences

Chariots race around a huge arena at break-neck speed... a vast Roman army wields swords and spears... two gladiators fight to the death.

Yet this is no scene from ancient Rome but a version of the Ben-Hur story, taking place in the very modern setting of London's O2 Arena. (another story indicates that the show will then move to Spain, Portugal, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary and Germany)

The 90-minute performance is the most ambitious telling of the story since the Oscar-winning 1959 movie of the same name, which starred Charlton Heston.

The producers claim the show has 'the speed of a musical, the depth of great theatre, the power of a rock concert and the visual opulence of a Hollywood blockbuster'.

Musician Stewart Copeland of The Police composed the soundtrack and narrates the show, which runs at the O2 until Saturday.

article-1213762-06720E0A000005DC-728_634x376_popup.jpg

article-1213762-0671F615000005DC-384_634x467.jpg

article-1213762-067242D8000005DC-77_634x461.jpg

I've heard that Ben-Hur cost millions of dollars to produce. I wonder how expensive the tickets are...

WOW!

Do you know if this thing might be coming to NYC's Madison Square Garden some time? It looks like a hoot 'n' a half.

-- Nephele

WOW!

Do you know if this thing might be coming to NYC's Madison Square Garden some time? It looks like a hoot 'n' a half.

-- Nephele

This would be pretty fantastic just for the spectacle for the thing, eh?

The reports I read had no mention of a U.S. tour, however the producer mentioned that he built the show to last for 15 years...you gotta figure at some point this will find its way to the U.S. Americans would eat this up.

I've heard that Ben-Hur cost millions of dollars to produce. I wonder how expensive the tickets are...

I just found it...$14million to producer and top tickets in London going for $190 (U.S. dollars).

J

I just found it...$14million to producer and top tickets in London going for $190 (U.S. dollars).

J

Hmm, expensive but, as you mentioned, those are the most expensive tickets...

J

Hmm, expensive but, as you mentioned, those are the most expensive tickets...

Right - not all that bad in my opinion...pretty typical in the U.S. for a top flight sporting event tickets and I'm guessing typical also for a Broadway show (not that I've been to one in about 25 years).

WOW! I am amazed! I have heard of this being performed live, but have never had the chance to see it, or see any photos from it. I was guessing top tickets would go for around $300 or so for that kind of production (In US Dollars). The lighting and effects in it look awesome. I would be willing to fly out to see this one, but it seems it only runs through Sunday and I can not find any other information if they are going to move the show and do more performances. *Crosses fingers*