UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M. Porcius Cato

The Poison King

Having read the author's other book, I can tell you she is a good writer and academic.

However, this troubles me:

The author indirectly compares Mithradates to Osama bin Laden, and later, more surprisingly, to Christ.

Oy vey.

Having read the author's other book, I can tell you she is a good writer and academic.

However, this troubles me:

The author indirectly compares Mithradates to Osama bin Laden, and later, more surprisingly, to Christ.

Oy vey.

I agree that it does sound a bit out of kilter - my initial thought is could the reviewer have made their own interpolations out of what has actually been written and managed to get 5 out of 2+2. :)

I suppose I will now have to find time to read the book to find out if there is 'any'mention of either ObL or JC in the book and IF so in what context. So many books - so little time ;)

From that review and the preview in Amazon.com, it seems the biological and toxicological approach of this book is absolutely sensationalistic and unscientific.

From that review and the preview in Amazon.com, it seems the biological and toxicological approach of this book is absolutely sensationalistic and unscientific.

How so?

It's also possible/likely that the publisher/publicist emphasized a rather tiny portion of the book in order to make it appealing to a larger audience.

There is also another recent Mithridates biography out: Mithridates the Great: Rome's Indomitable Enemy. I definitely want to get one of these; on the off chance that somebody has looked at both, any recommendations? Both got solid reviews on amazon, and seem to cover the same general material. I was leaning towards "Indomitable enemy" just because its title might suggest less "sensational" content, but I'm not quite comfortable with this superficial basis for decision making :(. Any advice?

Well, I'm going to be taking a look at the Poison King, but then I'm very familiar with the Indomitable Enemy, and can tell you that book is mainly about the campaigns Mithridates fought against Roman armies over the decades. I hope the new book does justice to its subject - though he may have been a monster, Mithridates had charisma in sackfuls, and his is a story that deserves to be much better known.

but then I'm very familiar with the Indomitable Enemy,

Maty, what is your opinion on the author's treatment of the title character?

but then I'm very familiar with the Indomitable Enemy,

Maty, what is your opinion on the author's treatment of the title character?

I'm planning to get this book for Christmas, and will be able to comment on it further then - even a review should you wish. I have written to the author congratulating her on the publication, as she was kind enough to get in touch with me a few months ago. So far I've only read the review, and this has raised a few questions I'd like to follow up. I'm sure we will disagree on some issues - in fact I do hope that we do, as there wouldn't be much to talk about otherwise. So watch this space!