UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Archaeological/historic theories

Klingan

Archaeological/historical theory (as processualism, post-processualism, positivism and so on) is one of my many weaknesses within my studies of Greek and Roman history, but it's really something that I would like to try to work on and that is why I've created this topic.

What theories and methods do you find to be useful and why?

• 1 month later...
Archaeological/historical theory (as processualism, post-processualism, positivism and so on) is one of my many weaknesses within my studies of Greek and Roman history, but it's really something that I would like to try to work on and that is why I've created this topic.

What theories and methods do you find to be useful and why?

I suspect that to some extent the thundering silence to this topic up to now probably says it all.

Yes I have suffered through various explanations of the previously and currently fashionable theories of archaeology and even browsed through some of the eplanatory text books but probably like most people I left each session of theorising feeling none the wiser and normally with an incipient if not actual headache.

I know that some archaeologist live and breath such theorising but most probably are a lot happier in the bottom of a trench with a trowel or trying to understand at a less theoretical level what may have been happening on the site they are investigating from the finds at the site and its surrounding topography.

Possibly it is truer to say that outside of the theoretical classroom it can boil down to archeology using theories but if it does it is without the 'capitalisation' of each of the 'isms'?

Edited by Melvadius

Great historical theories in ancient studies have often shown themselves to be problematic because things that seems to explain later developpements of civilisation proved unable to explain the greco-roman world. Among the famous examples are Marx theories, Weber's ones, etc.

In France, where they like big theories big time (