UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Origin of a Piranesi' etching

Klingan

907.JPG

Well, it's quite simple. Does anyone know where in Rome this arch is/was? My first thought was that it was the Via del Nazareno port, but that's unfortunately incorrect (unless he improvised a lot), and I can't remember any other structure like this one.

I think it's the arch of Claudius, since demolished.

It's a good idea but the arch of Claudius has been gone at least since the 9th century A.D.

Edit: Assuming that you're referring to the British arch?

Edited by Klingan

I thought it had lasted longer, my bad.

In that case I'm going with your initial guess of the Nazareno arch. Note that the text below mentions two additional, walled up arches.

It may have looked differently in Piranesi's time when compared to both original and current state.

edit: you can actually see the outline of a second arch on the left.

Edited by Maladict

I thought it had lasted longer, my bad.

In that case I'm going with your initial guess of the Nazareno arch. Note that the text below mentions two additional, walled up arches.

It may have looked differently in Piranesi's time when compared to both original and current state.

edit: you can actually see the outline of a second arch on the left.

Ah great catch Mal, I couldn't read the Italian (too difficult when I can't make out all the words).

This is how the Via del Nazareno arch look today, I took it out of the equation as I didn't see the other arch on the etching.

via.jpg

Nice, I didn't know that much remained of it.

Is that water underneath? :huh:

Silt, actually, or I at least think so.

Piranesi obviously used a little bit of his fantasy when drawing- the vault is more elaborate on the drawing.

Edit - should have used this one in Guess the ancient city...

Edited by Klingan

Here's what I understand from the Italian: What we are looking at is the conduit of the Acqua Vergine, a Pope Nicholas V reconstruction of the Aqua Virgo of Roman times . Letter A is Claudius's monument. C states that this is the new shape of the aqueduct erected in modern times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acqua_Vergine

According to another source:

The aqua Virgo (original name of the Acqua Vergine) enters Rome on the north side through the slopes of the Pincian Hill and goes until the S

Edited by Ludovicus

Here's what I understand from the Italian: What we are looking at is the conduit of the Acqua Vergine, a Pope Nicholas V reconstruction of the Aqua Virgo of Roman times . Letter A is Claudius's monument. C states that this is the new shape of the aqueduct erected in modern times.

I can't locate letters B and D on the image.

B is to the left of the arch, near the protruding stone. There's probably another B on the other side.

D is in the top left corner.

Edited by Maladict