UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gaius Julius Camillus

The False Nero

Salve Citizens,

I must ask for assistance from the masses here at UNRV. Beforehand, I searched the archives for any relevant topics, but found nothing. My apologies to the staff if I missed a prior discussion. Forgive me.

I am extremely interested in the men who claimed to be the Emperor Nero after his death. Terentius Maximus is one such claimant that I know of. Coupled with this, I read that St. Augustine even spoke of how many believed that Nero would return in his day. I find this fascinating that one man could have so many pretenders. What is the source of prophecy surrounding his return? If any?

I ask for any source material, insight, anything at all that will help me to begin research on this topic.

sincerely,

G. Julius Camillus

The title of this topic brought to my mind the book of Stephan Zweig The False Nero but looking on-line I found no mention of an English edition of this nice novel. Zweig is among the best historical novelists I had ever read.

I ask for any source material, insight, anything at all that will help me to begin research on this topic.

An audio course whose name I forget discussed the various Nero pretenders and proposed reasons for them. IIRC it was a result of Neros strong populist side. Much of his antics were considered to thumb his nose at aristocratics and their pretentions. Even his artistic performances were considered slumming it, since artists at that time were not considered at all elite as now (maybe the wiser attitude, based on the lunacy that overnight wonder stars with no knowledge of real life tend to preach). As I understand it, many of the commoners loved this and someone said his returns after death were like latter day Elvis sightings.