UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

guy

I, on the other hand, have a hard time accepting John Hannah in this role. All I see is his character in Four Weddings and a Funeral whose name escapes right now. When I saw him in that movie "Legion", I was surprised and thought he wasn't very good (well, the entire movie was awful). Now in Spartacus - maybe because his character IS so vile and it isn't the type I've seen him play before, that it is so disturbing....and creates exactly the effect that's required. Does that make sense?

After the two deaths last night, the other being Barcus (spoiler sorry), and knowing the ultimate outcome of this series; I don't think I'll continue to watch. I've had enough blood and writers trying to shock and push the limits.

I've seen John Hannah in the short-lived British drama series New Street Law, and he was quite good in that.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand is pretty shocking, but I do think the scripts are well written. As with Deadwood, I find the characters (even the bastards) multi-dimensional and compelling.

-- Nephele

Thanks for the editing! :(

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did NOT like the ending of tonight's episode. :( Totally not what I expected.

I know! I didn't like last night's (episode 6) ending, either, but I have to say that I like the fact that every episode so far has been unpredictable. Also, actor John Hannah (Batiatus) continues to amaze with his performance. In last night's episode, he was scarier than any of his gladiators. He doesn't need to look like a gladiator (and he certainly doesn't) to intimidate -- you just know he's a bad dude to cross. He reminds me a little of Al Pacino, in Godfather II.

-- Nephele

The ending of episode 6 did not make much sense to me from a logical point of view (yet) but I did not mind. You can't really expect a happy end to this story and more romance would have made things only more brutal in the end. Vengeance it's a better plot device in violent movies (I'm thinking of Tarantino now). Batiatus and his wife make a very interesting couple and are the core of the series.

Edited by Kosmo

• 1 month later...

Nephele, I have a confession. After saying I wouldn't watch the series....I DID. All I wanted to say tonight is (without any spoilers this time I promise!) - OMG. The finale kept me on the edge of my seat! A couple of times I even exclaimed "OH NO!" right out loud. I can only imagine what the next season will be like.

Oh, and by the way. You did know that the actor who plays Spartacus was diagnosed with Lymphoma? He's currently under treatment. My Mom has this same type of Lymphoma, she has had chemo on and off over the past 5yrs. but the last time it didn't do much so she had to undergo radiation. NOT FUN. But the lump on the back on her tongue is gone, unfortunately so are most of her salivary glands. Her taste has finally returned after a year and a half. Otherwise she feels fine and her blood work is good again. We just have to keep an eye on any lymph nodes that swell.

Article on John Hannah who plays Batiatus:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...nnah15_ST_N.htm

guy also known as gaius

Nephele, I have a confession. After saying I wouldn't watch the series....I DID. All I wanted to say tonight is (without any spoilers this time I promise!) - OMG. The finale kept me on the edge of my seat! A couple of times I even exclaimed "OH NO!" right out loud. I can only imagine what the next season will be like.

It was absolutely brilliant. I'm thinking of keeping my subscription to Starz a little bit longer, just so I can watch the entire series over again.

And, yes, I'd heard about Andy Whitfield's lymphoma. Crispina, your poor mom, yikes.

Guy/Gaius, thanks for the link to that article on John Hannah! I'm glad the Starz and series execs didn't go with their first thought of casting a "TV equivalent of Tom Cruise to portray Batiatus." Ugh. If you ask me, John Hannah as Batiatus was the star of the series.

-- Nephele

• 4 weeks later...
It's currently selling for $54 on Amazon.com: DVD pre-order

That's a little steep for my blood. I might have to wait a few years and get it when it's in the bargain bin.

$54 for just 13 episodes??? Pfffftt!

I think the price will come down once the DVD hits the stores -- like Target and Best Buy. I can wait.

-- Nephele

Check out this review on Amazon:

Warning: Spartacus-Blood and Sand should not be viewed by women, children, men who are in touch with their feminine side, church goers, your mother, liberals, conservatives, wine connoisseurs, day care employees, Al Gore, wedding planners, and professional figure skaters.

Non of the above apply to you? Read on good sir, because you are a man. A real man! The kind of man who likes violence, sex, violent sex, blood, guts, sweat, dirt, crotch scratching, belching, beer, naked women, testosterone, and more violence..... followed by more sex and naked women. So congratulations; you've just found the greatest show in the history of television. Maybe the best that ever will be, because I can't comprehend the existence of a show that would be more kick ass than Spartacus. Just thinking about what qualities a show would have to possess to make it better than Spartacus makes my brain hurt. And if Spartacus teaches us one thing, it's that men are not supposed to think until their brains hurt. They are supposed to think just long enough to figure out how to cut someone's bowels out of their stomachs with one swipe from a sword. Then they're supposed to have sex with a submissive, naked woman. Or women. And then they eat.

I'm not going to take the time to write out a synopsis for the show ( I really shouldn't even be using the word "synopsis" in a sentence) nor am I going to give you a history lesson about the real Spartacus. I am going to sum up Spartacus-Blood and Sand and simultaneously tell you why you should watch it using only simple words and phrases. Blood. Violence. Sex. Nudity. Foul language. Sweating. Training. Swords. Murder. Blonds. Brunettes. Red-heads. Breasts. Spitting. Breaking stuff. Gladiators. Cheering crowds. Fighting. Are you still reading? Why? Go watch it already!

In all fairness, Spartacus does borrow heavily in style from the movie 300. So it that a bad thing? What, you didn't like 300 sissy man? Fine. Go watch The Bridges of Madison County again and find someone to talk about your feelings with. But for all the rest of you real men who loved 300 for all the right reasons, you'll love Spartacus just as much. You'll watch it and soon find yourself walking down your street in nothing but boots and a loin cloth, carrying a sword, vowing to destroy all who dare challenge you. Stupid punk kid across the street? Smash his car! Annoying neighbor? Have sex with his wife! Old women down the street bothering you about your yard maintenance? Throw a brick through her window! YOU. ARE. A. MAN!

So in summary: Manliness = watch Spartacus-Blood and Sand. Sissyness = do anything else.

Bwahahahaha!

Check out this review on Amazon:

[snip]

So... I'm a man??? That reviewer don't know jack shit 'bout wimmenfolk!

-- Nephele

Overall it seems to be a pretty good show if you don't think too hard while watching it. I don't buy it being a show just for men though, since there is quite a bit of sweaty, well muscled guys working out in booty shorts during the episodes I have seen. And honestly thats fine by me. We men always get the sex-appeal geared towards us so it's only fair that the women get some eye-candy too. I just try to enjoy the entertainment and suspend all notion of historical accuracy from my mind. Once you do that movies like Gladiator or 300 aren't so bad.

On the other hand I really have trouble not laughing while watching this show. So many great lines such as: "We are here to fuck your women!" Also, I'm not sure why the Getai in the first episode were portrayed as weird werewolf creatures. The funniest thing about this show has to be the blood. A guy gets his arm cut off- about 10 cc's of blood and the severed arm flies 50 feet to stage left. Spartacus stubs his toe- gallons upon gallons of blood cover the screen!

... John Hannah (Batiatus) continues to amaze with his performance. In last night's episode, he was scarier than any of his gladiators.

Batiatus is one slimy character. Vile yet somewhat likable at the same time. He is scary but not really intimidating. He has a sort of charm that can be disarming. He could smile in your face while slitting your jugular.

And I loved the part when he was snubbed by the senator who told him to stay out of politics and stick to what he does best. In reality he probabaly would do well in politics, where high level backstabbing is a prerequisite.

... John Hannah (Batiatus) continues to amaze with his performance. In last night's episode, he was scarier than any of his gladiators.

Batiatus is one slimy character. Vile yet somewhat likable at the same time. He is scary but not really intimidating. He has a sort of charm that can be disarming. He could smile in your face while slitting your jugular.

And I loved the part when he was snubbed by the senator who told him to stay out of politics and stick to what he does best. In reality he probabaly would do well in politics, where high level backstabbing is a prerequisite.

That's an excellent assessment of the character! (and of politics, too...)

-- Nephele

• 2 weeks later...

Spartacus has reached the British shores.

The article mentions a six-part prequel while Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) undergoes treatment for lymphoma.

http://historyoftheancientworld.com/2010/0...eres-in-the-uk/

guy also known as gaius

Spartacus has reached the British shores.

The article mentions a six-part prequel while Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) undergoes treatment for lymphoma.

http://historyoftheancientworld.com/2010/0...eres-in-the-uk/

guy also known as gaius

"They are now going ahead with a six-part prequel, which will focus on the characters played by Lucy Lawless and John Hannah."

Yay!

And here I thought we'd seen the last of John Hannah and Lucy Lawless, with the first season's finale. Glad to hear that they're not quite gone yet!

-- Nephele

• 2 weeks later...

Some really great news for us Spartacus: Blood & Sand fans!

We're happy to hear that Spartacus star Andy Whitfield, 35, has been given a clean bill of health and is already training for his return to the set of the hit Starz series.

'Spartacus' star Andy Whitfield finishes cancer treatment

-- Nephele