UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

guy

Fluffer! Hahaha! I knew what that is! (Don't ask.)

-- Nephele

Did you know that London Underground employ "Fluffers"? It's the nick-name given to the small army of cleaners that head off down the tunnels every night (after the trains have stopped running, obviously) to pick up the debris and detritus of the day. It turns out that most of this consists of human hair - hence the name. No, really, they do!

Edited by GhostOfClayton

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I watched all 13 hours of it this weekend on DVD. I was impressed at how much better the writing became as the episodes progressed.

I'm worried about Season 2, too. Two of the main characters (and most delightful characters) apparently dead. The lead actor not returning ....

Is the next series gonna be a prequel?? I know it hits the UK in 2011 but that's all.

Anyone got a bit more info on it??

Apparently six episodes or so are a prequel dedicated to showcasing how Lentulus Batiatus took over his father's Ludum and became "the best lanista in the Republic." link

After that ... who knows. http://ausiellofiles...itfield-cancer/

Edited by Ursus

• 6 months later...

Small announcement: 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand' is now available to buy on Region 2 DVD. Thank you for your attention.

Small announcement: 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand' is now available to buy on Region 2 DVD. Thank you for your attention.

Strange, It's still listed as a mid May (15-16th) release on most websites. I haven't seen it around. I'm looking forward to seeing it though. Looks good, and its gotten some praise here and elsewhere.

My mistake - my early onset dementia seems to be playing me up again!

Edited by GhostOfClayton

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first two episodes on Starz last summer, and thought they were great. Wildly inaccurate in many places, but great TV viewing. I thought Andy Whitfield was terrific as Spartacus, and was upset to hear about his battle with lymphoma. I keep Googling to find out what's happening, but there's little out there. I hope that no news is good news in his case.

I haven't yet bought the boxed set, although I dearly want to. This is because, and this is a shameless plug, I am writing two novels about the man himself. Spartacus The Gladiator will come out in the UK in early 2012, and the sequel, Spartacus: Rebellion is quite likely to come out later in the same year. Not sure about US dates yet, but it will be coming out there - most likely in 2012. Hopefully, some of you guys might be interested in reading it!

This statement has now become true. Find it at Amazon for 25 quid.

I finally got hold of the series on Monday after many months of waiting. I've watched five episodes so far. I have to admit I'm really enjoying it so far. The series got off to a shaky start, I thought some of the outdoor CGI effects were a bit ropey, the acting of some of the Thracian warriors was bombastic, while the dialogue tended to be cringeworthy at times. After a while I began getting used to the series' unique style, and now I can't wait to see what happens next. The last episode I saw had Spartacus and Crixus defeating the giant Theokles. It isn't historically accurate but it is entertaining.

It's fairly action fantasy which almost made me not watch it. But I found the series (I've seen up to ep.10 now) a compelling blend of Gladiator, Rome and 300 in style and gore. Even unmissable at times? The script, storylines and characterisations (for me) are brilliant, although even die-hard fans admit that the weakest two episodes are the first two.

I was wondering about one or two things, though;

• Did 'The Pits' really exist, like modern cage fighting?
  • Wasn't there a real life Gladiatorial legend called Crixus, or something similar?
  • Would the childless widow of a Dominus really 'be forced to re-marry'?

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time posting.

As much as I'm content to see arts and entertainment re-awaken interest in the classics and Roman history, evaluated as a television show, I just cannot dig Spartacus. I've made a little essay about it on my site, comparing it to HBO/BBC's Rome.

http://condemnedmovies.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/a-tale-of-two-series-rome-and-spartacus/

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time posting.

As much as I'm content to see arts and entertainment re-awaken interest in the classics and Roman history, evaluated as a television show, I just cannot dig Spartacus. I've made a little essay about it on my site, comparing it to HBO/BBC's Rome.

http://condemnedmovies.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/a-tale-of-two-series-rome-and-spartacus/

I agree with you. HBO's Rome was far superior, and in comparison Spartacus is just pure nonsense. I liked how you picked up on the linguistics.