UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DanM

John Julius Norwich

Are there any other Norwich fans here? His 3 part series on Byzantium was great and his book on the Normans in Sicily was one of the most entertaining non-fiction books I have read in years.

I am a Norwich fan. I read his "A History of Venice" and have his "Paradise of Cities". After your comments I might get his series on Byzantium, though I already have one by Cyril Mango. I have also read "The Fall of Constantinople" by Sir Steven Runciman, which captivated me. Others I found interesting are "Chronicle of the Crusaders" by Joinville and Villehardouin (in translation) and "The Byzantine Empire" by Robert Browning.

Right now I am enjoying "The Grand Strategy of Philip II" by Geoffrey Parker.

What makes "Normans in Sicily" so entertaining ?

To answer your question first, the two things that makes the Norwich book about the Normans in Sicily so entertaining are (1) the characters and (2) the way Norwich develops the charactrers. He really seems to bring them alive.

Robert and Roger Guiscard are a lot of fun and Norwich does his best to play them up as the classic rogue types.

As for the 3 book series on Byzantium, I would highly recommend the Norwich take on events. Since you are familiar with his writing style, I am sure you know how easy and enjoyable his books are to read. Especially when compared to other non-fiction writers. I honestly felt more like I was reading a gossip column about the various emperors and less that I was reading a dry, halting historical report.

As for Runciman, if you like his writing style and have any interest in early heretical christianity, then you might want to look at the Runciman book titled "The Medieval Manichee". Its an enjoyable read and quite informative. For example, if you have ever wondered about the theological differences between a dualist and a monarchist, this book can draw the distinction for you.

Right now I am reading the translations of the 4 books written by Procopius. After that, I am going to read the 2 volume set by AHM Jones of the Later Roman Empire.

Ah, that sounds inspiring about both authors. If they can round out the characters, that scores points with me. That certainly brings them to life. They will get my asap attention.

Nothing like a good writer to teach us !

John Julius Norwich is the business.Anyone who hasn't read his Byzantium series is missing out big time. As the man says, he brings the characters to life. You'll feel you know these various Byzantine nutcases personally. You'll be in awe of Nichophoras Phocas, you'll feel sorry for Romanos Diogenes, as for Basil the Bulgar Slayer and Justinian II ( he of the golden nose ), well - they're just cool.( as you can see The Apogee is my fav ). You may not learn anything new, but you get a FEEL for how things actually went down and the personalities of the major players.

Get it Get it Get it

Dan M (and Fatboy)

I just came upon the "A Short History of Byzantium" in hardcover, at a used bookstore for $6. I thought I better snatch it up, even though it is not the set of 3. It was worth getting since it is in unread condition and its list price is $31. On the jacket, it says it's based on the three-volume work. I really bought it because you gave it such high ratings. Oh, also because I had money. *smiles*

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books