UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Julius Caesars` descendants found

Viggen

I always thought that Adriano Celentano had something that i miss on most italians of today, the emperor look...

, ---At 0:31 , Adriano looks like a Roman Emperor

...speaking of italian and emperor looks; watch Pavarotti at

the last 10 seconds from 2:57 to end, i could imagine that this was how an emperor looked when he knew he has won the battle....

cheers

viggen

...speaking of italian and emperor looks;

Sculptures of emperors may be too good to be true... I wonder if emperors really looked that way, or if it was kind of a style either maintained by sculptor preference or their customers demand. I love how they can look decisive yet meditative - kind of a balance (not achieved by my avatar) rather than going for an obvious effect.

I think both Greek and renaissance sculpture failed to attain this. Greek sculpture seems a tad "stagey" (either towards the stiff or the florid - and I think Roman plays made fun of Greek artsy-fartsiness that they suposedly admired). And renaissance sculpture seems too florid - I'm suffering thru a Michelangelo course spewing hours of praise on obviously dysfunctional pieces like his carvings of angels that look like hunkey male stripper dancers that were supposed to be matched pairs with some existing cherubic ones.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I have noticed a surviving Italian preference for poise and not looking "below your station" in life... that may relate to "emperor poise". When travelling, sometimes I stumble into a special situation not really dressed presentably and kind of frantic from outside factors rather than what is appropriate for the occasion. Throughout most of the world, folks just let it pass without much notice, but strange (and opposite) reactions come from the UK and Italy (esp. northern).

In upper class UK, they will pretend to be egalitarian and accepting, but can just radiate revulsion as if having to handle a dirty diaper. In Italy they can give curious but nonjudgemental reactions as if to say why is someone of such obvious quality not dressing and acting the part to the hilt - too bad you are wasting your considerable potential. The first reaction feels really creepy and two-faced, whereas the second approach is oddly seductive, complementary, and can inspire you to step up to the challenge.

I always thought that Adriano Celentano had something that i miss on most italians of today, the emperor look...

, ---At 0:31 , Adriano looks like a Roman Emperor

...speaking of italian and emperor looks; watch Pavarotti at

the last 10 seconds from 2:57 to end, i could imagine that this was how an emperor looked when he knew he has won the battle....

cheers

viggen

Off topic, but I used to be HUGE fan of Eros Rammazzotti - have a dozen or more of his CDs. It was a fun "love affair", I must get those out and listen to them again. I mention Eros because I clicked on one of the other videos on the site that has Adriano (whom I've never heard of) and Eros singing a duet.