UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Lectures on Ancient Greece

okamido

I just wanted to present the links to some lectures on ancient Greece by Yale Historian Donald Kagan.

Funny how some OpenYaleCourses get propagated around. You can get back to the source and choose either just audio or high or low res video at http://oyc.yale.edu/classics/introduction-.../downloads.html and load it on your ipod if you want. Back up the hierarchy and find some other courses.

Whew, I was worried I might be scolded for including the obvious, since the link I posted turns up at bottom of your linked page too.

Anyway, downloading to ipod can vary. First download all the mp3 or video files to a laptop or whatever, unless you have an ipod that can appear like another disk and want to go there directly. Hmm, I guess you set up a browser to have a default download location right into this kind of disk-extension ipod.

Downloading to my mac, I press cntl or alt button while I click on each file. I don't wait for each to finish, but start all downloads in rapid succession. I think the hi res video stuff can take many hours, but mp3 is fast (low res vid is in between). Also there is some interesting html and other course materials you may want to download (just a few seconds worth).

Next I will describe the simple case for a non-Apple ipod. Just drag and drop into it! If you originally put it in one directory, then just drop the directory into the ipod (Archos ipods work this way). I guess some folks use an itunes substitute to "synch" or load stuff onto non-apple ipods, but as an itunes hater I don't know about that either.

For an apple ipod and itunes I can only describe my grumpy trial and error... I guess there is a drag and drop feature, right? But maybe not for a whole directory? I guess I have used this once for video. But for just audio, what I do is go to the top mp3 directory and do a "select all" on it. Then I apply "open file" to all selected, which loads everything into an itunes "music" folder (besides playing it, which I kill). Then I click on the ipod and tell itunes to synch with the music folder.

Edited by caesar novus

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff. Am currently doing an online class on ancient Greece. Am very happy to point my students at other people's material. (Why re-invent the wheel?)

A splendid find!