UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
david r

roman maps

Hi, i'm looking for some maps of the Roman Empire, C 220 CE. Reading auto biog of Hadrian's travels with original place names left me wondering where, exactly, he was on my modern atlas.

Would appreciate any help with this.

You might like to check out UNRV's own Wallmap of the Roman Empire, "exhautively researched over the course of two years and subject to five months of design and historical scrutiny."

Click here.

The map is circa 117 CE, but that's pretty close to the time period you specified.

-- Nephele

You might like to check out UNRV's own Wallmap of the Roman Empire, "exhautively researched over the course of two years and subject to five months of design and historical scrutiny."

Click here.

The map is circa 117 CE, but that's pretty close to the time period you specified.

-- Nephele

Hi, thanks for help; i'm on it!

David.

As a personal testimony, the UNRV map is completely awesome. I usually keep it on the wall beside my bed so I can have epic dreams at night. :D

How many editions of it has there been . I bought one years , hope its not antiquated now.

Just two... we've thought about an update, but can only really find a few minor tweaks. We figure it's not worth a full reproduction. We'd rather do some other types of maps... the growth of the Republic in Italy, Spread of Christianity, Pre-Roman Greece, etc. but I'm not much of a graphic artist.

Would love to know which version of the Hadrian book you're reading.

The UNRV map is superb - got one on the wall next to my as I type.

If you want (much) more detail of Britannia, there's only one to consider, which is the Ordnance Survey Map of Roman Britain.

Zooming in closer still, the excellent Ordnance Survey map of Hadrian's wall, showing all remains in red or black (depending on invisible or visible remains) has recently been re-published by English Heritage. On the other hand, for a very broad overview may I reccommend the Penguin Atlas of Ancient History and its companion The Penguin Atlas of Mediaeval History? If still in print they provide a delightful cartoon strip of the growth of the republic/empire, its shrinkage and its continued fortunes in the middle ages as the renamed 'Byzantine' Empire.

The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland have brought out a 1:25000 scale map of the Antonine Wall which may also be of interest.

I am sure that there must be maps available from other parts of the Roman Limes eg there is an on-line (although simplified) version showing the Upper German-Raetian Limes (Obergermanisch-R

The Antonine Wall Map is winging it's way towards OfClayton Towers as we speak, if Amazon can be relied upon. Looking forward to that one.

I must admit to being a trifle disappointed with the HW 1:25 000. The only thing it offers over the OS 1:25 000 is the indicator of features being extant or otherwise, and in reality that can be quite a subjective decision.

I've been having to research the German-Raetian Limes (see my blog on Monday for why), and am yet to find the kind of detailed maps we're used to in the UK (though I've only just started looking.) I wouldn't lose sleep over the map you can't get to work, Melvadius - it's very much an overview of the line of the Limes, in the context of the whole country. There are no sites listed. This is the best website to use for the individual sites, though not much of it is in English.