UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

1,100 year old pot 'proves' Wallingford's origins as Anglo

The [url="http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/hswallingfordnews/8149764.Pot_luck_clue_to_town_history/

I'm sorry. I misread the title of this post. I thought you were referring to another type of "pot."

http://www.joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm

There are, however, drugs such as Cannabis sativa (what is popularly referred to as hashish) which were mentioned in the papyrus and are known today to be of therapeutic value (Mechoulam 1986).

Rescue excavations carried out by the Israel Antiquities Authority in 1989 near the ancient city of Beit Shemesh uncovered a Roman burial tomb dated to the late fourth century AD in which were found the remains of a young girl of 14 years who died in childbirth (Zias 1995) Along with the body of the mother and unborn child were 7 grams of organic material which was originally believed to be incense. Subsequent microscopic analysis of the material by the Forensic laboratories of the Israel Police and a gas chromatography analysis performed by chemists at Hadassah Medical School showed the unmistakable presence of Tetralydrocannabinol, a component a cannabis, which indicated the presence of Cannabis sativa in the sample (Zias et al 1993) Ancient Egyptian literary sources provide the first written evidence (1600 BC) the this plant was used in association with 'mothers and children', which Mechoulam (1986) assumes was probably used in the prevention of hemorrhage in childbirth.

My bad. :lol:

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy