UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fallen Hopes

Artimi

6-Mar-07

Fallen Hopes

Sethra watched the sunrise; the sky turned from dark, dark blue to a wonderful rose, then a joyous orange. This matched her mood. Today she was 14, and her mother and father said they had a birthday surprise. Many of her friends were already betrothed or married, and she felt left behind. Hopefully, a future husband was the surprise. Her mother knew who she preferred first, second, third, as if this would matter. Pater was a rising client of an important patron, one who was actually in the Senate. Unfortunately her marriage would a political or commercial union.

Father had already left the domus, and Sethra could hear her mother moving about. Her brother

Okay ...

A good story, and relating well to what someone tangentially related to the assassination might have felt. Just two niggles

Firstly, where does the name Sethra come from? Since a Roman female's name was the feminine of the gentilicum, this suggests that the father was called Sethrus. Which is not a Roman name.

Secondly the funeral of Caesar probably took place on March 17 - several days after the ides, so you are running events into each other.

Okay ...

A good story, and relating well to what someone tangentially related to the assassination might have felt. Just two niggles

Firstly, where does the name Sethra come from? Since a Roman female's name was the feminine of the gentilicum, this suggests that the father was called Sethrus. Which is not a Roman name.

Secondly the funeral of Caesar probably took place on March 17 - several days after the ides, so you are running events into each other.

Sethra is Etruscan. When I wrote this, I was still very fascinated by Etruscans (still am but Rome claimed my time). I named her Sethra, in honour of her mother's ancestors in Etruria and I like the name. I think I was going to introduce more details of the names of the characters had I continued.

Caesar was dead!! Killed with the help of our patron. First the assassins