UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cleopatra: The Movie

guy

You be the judge:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/james-cameron-flirting-with-cleopatra/

:unsure:

guy also known as gaius

"Stacy Schiff's biography peels away the layers to reveal the true Cleopatra, a much more interesting woman than the Hollywood version, and, as it turns out, a formidable queen after all, according to reviews. A Pulitzer Prize-winning American nonfiction author and guest columnist for The New York Times, Schiff digs up astonishing and rare facts about the queen that could make the film into an entirely new story."

Sounds excellent. Top director, actress, script, producer etc and we can count on breathtaking special effects and other Hollywood visual treats that come with a big budget.

An interview not about the movie but about the biography written by Stacy Schiff. I guess I should have put this in Libri

Questions for Stacy Schiff

The Queen

Interview by DEBORAH SOLOMON

Published: October 15, 2010

In your new biography of Cleopatra, you take issue with historians who have attributed her achievements to her looks and implied that she slept her way to the top.

For reasons I am sure you can explain to me, it has always been preferable to attribute a woman

This sounds like it could be interesting, although I wish Hollywood would start covering other events and people from ancient history instead of retreading the same ground (how many Julius Caesar or/and Cleopatra movies have been made now?)

I like the sound that they are going to try and make this one a bit more historically accurate.

On an slightly unrelated note I thought it odd that Angelina Jolie said: "I haven

On an slightly unrelated note I thought it odd that Angelina Jolie said: "I haven

Edited by guy

We've had a similar conversation before, but do you think Angelina Jolie is the best for the Cleo part (out of the current crop - we all know that Amanda Barrie was the perfect Cleopatra, and can never be beaten!)

If AJ fell ill, who would be the best actress to take on the role?

• 2 weeks later...

This recent article from the Wall Street Journal contends that our view of Cleopatra has been seen mainly from the Romans' prejudiced perspectives on the East, wealth, and women.

A good read here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304510704575562194068357552.html

I'm interested in what might be a new take on the Egyptian queen in this upcoming film.

Edited by Ludovicus

I get the impression that the WSJ article has been written by the author of the new book, so strictly speaking it isn't really an 'independent' review while the NYT article seems to combine an author interview with similar 'press material' on the new book.

On that basis both articles seem more like extended adverts than anything else and I do wonder precisely what the subtext is of the NYT comment that

portions of Ms. Schiff

We've had a similar conversation before, but do you think Angelina Jolie is the best for the Cleo part (out of the current crop - we all know that Amanda Barrie was the perfect Cleopatra, and can never be beaten!)

Here here to that! I believe Sydney James was a ittle too handsome for the role of Marcus Antonius though. Seriously, I dont think I could add anything that hasn't already been said here or on PP's original link. Apart from how relieved I am that that no-one on either site is saying she should be portrayed as' Opressed, Black and African'. As for AJ's suitability or otherwise, at least she seems to have made an effort to read about her role, so we may see a surprising performance. I quite liked te actress who played her in HBO's 'Rome'. Forgotten her name, though.

Here here to that! I believe Sydney James was a ittle too handsome for the role of Marcus Antonius though. Seriously, I dont think I could add anything that hasn't already been said here or on PP's original link. Apart from how relieved I am that that no-one on either site is saying she should be portrayed as' Opressed, Black and African'. As for AJ's suitability or otherwise, at least she seems to have made an effort to read about her role, so we may see a surprising performance. I quite liked te actress who played her in HBO's 'Rome'. Forgotten her name, though.

I liked her too. Had to look up her name as well: Lindsey Marshal.