UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
skel

Herodotus

has any one here read the book, The Histories, by Herodotus? im thinking about buying it from amazon.com and was wonder what people thought about it. i know its a major source for almost all accounts on ancient world histories. i guess i just wonder how it was to read it? was it dificult at all? which translation would you recommend?

It is a good book covering the rise and fall of the Persian Empire as well as how all the cultures of the eastern Mediterranean interacted. It gives good insight into how the ancient Greeks viewed their world and the position it held.

The book is kinda long winded (like on anecdote leading to another) but worth the time.

I recomend the Walter Blanco translation, it's a Norton Critical Edition, don't bother with ordering it from amazon, just go to the local B&N and ask if they can get it (btw if your a club member you get 10% off everything!)

BONA FORTUNA!

Indeed, any of the ancient source literature can be a bit difficult to read. The style is just different than it is today. Herodotus is among the musts for the student of ancient history, though. (Well IMO opinion anyway)

Even though skel found the answer to his question, I thought I would chime in. I started reading the Rawlinson translation and a better read amland pal than I, talked me into getting the Penguin version, insisting it was an easier read. He is right. But before tackling this, I decided to read some general greek history first, since Ancient Greece was a 'new frontier' for me. It made all the 'new' information a little less overwhelming. I am not familiar with Augustus's recommendation of Walter Blanco.

Oh this is funny, I just checked amland to see the name of the translator on the Penguin edition (Aubrey de Selincourt), and there is a recommendation just the opposite to the one I just made ! She is another amland pal. Hmmm...I wonder if they know...

i found a copy online that i downloaded, its not complete (only the first 20 pages or so of each book) but its giving me a really good insight to everything so far. im almost finished (sort of) with the 3rd book now.

i will however be getting an actual copy of the book sometime soon i hope and thanks for your guys' input, i think ill try to get the oxford edition after reading the parts that i have because it has sidenotes, maps, and commentary that helps explain things for me :thumbsup:

The thing about the ancient historians, with the exception of maybe Thucydides, have some great information, but don't believe eveything they say, Herodotus has stories about gold digging ants, but does provide a good base for the rise of Persia, however it is from a Greek, Ionian to be exact, so is a little biased. I would read it thinking it as literature rather than for history. Same with Livy.

Yes, ancient historians tend to be compromised by the point of view they're coming from. So not so great for hard information but brilliant for getting a true flavour of the times and a glimpse at how they saw the world.