UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Questions And Answers

amcrazyjus

you know when i first come i thought that "hey this woul be cool i can talk to people who share my love of history (roman history at best)" and i know that a few of my posts are readable but some aren't and i totally understand if you don't understand but when you say that i need grammer lessons and then you say i need dictonary it not nice and i thought my posts were readable and i tried to make them readable (i did use a dictonary and when people mock a 23 year old woman about her grammer then it just rude i don't know if i wan't to come on site again :P

Calm down AM.

I already addressed the issue earlier in the thread.

I quote myself...

If people want to ignore posts that they find difficult to read... or not up to snuff in spelling, grammar and context, that's understandable. However, lets refrain from making attacks, especially if they are trying to contribute to the discussion. Many here are not native English speakers, and I certainly don't want to drive anyone away for being a language cop.

I will not personally tolerate this sort of thing on this forum. I want you to understand that you are very much welcome as a contibutor here. If you feel slighted in some way, there is nothing I can do about that, but I expect any comments regarding spelling, grammar, etc. to stop. Even if someone is a native speaker its not necessary to attack.

However, I openly support an aggressive policy towards people who type like d00dz. Or who are only here to act like idiots :(

In the immortal worlds of that great humanitarian, Rodney King :):P:blink: , Can't we all just get along?

ok i have a question,Did legionares have a good salary?If they had a family to support was the Army a good option?Did there family live in Barracks with them,or did they send money home? ok,3 questions really,thx L

Yes legionaries had an excellent salary.

From the William Smith Dictionary

Prior to Septimius Severus (c. 193 AD) Legionaries were technically not allowed to marry while still in service. This practice was widely ignored and families often (depending on where a soldier was stationed) lived near the Legion's home quarters. However, a family did not share barracks with soldiers the way that they can in the modern world. Even after Severus allowed legionaries to marry legally, living conditions were still essentially the same.

sorry i acked like that okay i have a question if the people had such good salaries, what happen if they died and their families were still at home, would the money go to them or back to the government?

Guest spartacus

it depends on the emporer - literally ! If he had overspent the public coffers he would "invent" new laws to recoup the money, one such way was twisting property laws!

May I suggest a book entitled The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius in which the property laws are covered several times!

User amcrazyjus, sorry if it seemed like i was insulting your grammar in any way, i said grammar* to correct spartacus, seeing as he was so busy with yours. :P

Again my apologies, just dont see too many people replying to themselves. Im only fifteen, i make mistakes, as do all of us.

By the way, didnt legionaries get paid in salt? I remember hearing that somewhere... :o

Not far more intelligent than my peers unfortunately, my GPA rounded out to a 3.7 last semester. (4 As, 2 Bs)

I just enjoy history of all kinds, especially Roman-era. I think im the only student in the school who reads the history textbook for 'fun'. :o

EDIT: By the way, i am studying in America. :P