UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena

Ursus

Is this a 'second series' sort of thing? I didn't see the first one, but would love to. Is it available as a region 2? Is the first series available as region 2? Anyone seen it? etc.

Just checked up on Amazon. Region 2 of 'Blood & Sand' isn't released until May 2011 !

• 1 month later...

'Spartacus' goes back to the beginning with 'Gods of the Arena'

If all had gone according to plan, fans of last year's cult hit "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" would be tuning in Friday to see slave-turned-gladiator-turned-rebel leader Spartacus lead his bloody revolt against the Roman Empire. Instead, Starz and series' executive producer Steven S. DeKnight are transporting viewers back in time with "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena" (9 p.m. Jan. 21, Starz) to about five years before Spartacus began his gladiator training.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/show-patrol/2011/01/spartacus-goes-back-to-the-beginning-with-gods-of-the-arena.html#ixzz1BfDCvxuU

I watched the first half of this last night. Hated it. They don't have a story anymore so they load up with gore and sex, looked like the ads I see for teenage video games.

Unfortunate, if that is the case. I do like some kind of story to string together scenes of sex and violence. :P

I guess I can only wait till I get the DVD to see for myself.

I watched the first half of this last night. Hated it. They don't have a story anymore so they load up with gore and sex, looked like the ads I see for teenage video games.

Crispina, my fellow Falco admirer, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. I really didn't see much more gore and sex than the original series had, although I will admit that the pacing of this first episode was perhaps a bit too fast. But I think that was probably due to the writer trying to establish the storyline quickly. I can see potential for a better fleshing out (pun unintended) of the storyline in subsequent episodes.

I was pleased to see just about all of the regulars from the original series back again.

Surprisingly, Batiatus and Solonius are good friends in this prequel! Which makes me eager to see what caused their friendship to go sour, with them becoming such vicious rivals. Also, I was disappointed to see that Varro wasn't back, but I'm wondering whether he'll make his appearance in subsequent episodes with more of his background story revealed (wife Aurelia, why he sold himself into slavery, etc.)

All in all, I think this new series got off to a good start!

-- Nephele

Crispina, my fellow Falco admirer, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. I really didn't see much more gore and sex than the original series had, although I will admit that the pacing of this first episode was perhaps a bit too fast. But I think that was probably due to the writer trying to establish the storyline quickly. I can see potential for a better fleshing out (pun unintended) of the storyline in subsequent episodes.

I was pleased to see just about all of the regulars from the original series back again.

Surprisingly, Batiatus and Solonius are good friends in this prequel! Which makes me eager to see what caused their friendship to go sour, with them becoming such vicious rivals. Also, I was disappointed to see that Varro wasn't back, but I'm wondering whether he'll make his appearance in subsequent episodes with more of his background story revealed (wife Aurelia, why he sold himself into slavery, etc.)

All in all, I think this new series got off to a good start!

-- Nephele

While I did appreciate the full frontal :P I just think the writers and director tried too hard for shock value. Plus you know I just can't accept John Hannah in the roll of Batiatus, I don't know why I just don't care for him. Maybe I just don't care for the character of Batiatus altogether.

I remember I said this about the original series when it began and said I'd never watch it...well I did, but this time I'm pretty certain I won't watch GOTA.

I actually like GotA more because B&S used an historic character, Spartacus, and was moving towards historical events and that made me more critical of historical inaccuracies while providing no suspense, after all we all know that he survived his gladiatorial fights and rebelled.

This new series I'm able to enjoy without this problems and I feel that the creators know by now what made the series successful including fights and nudity but also intrigue in the lanista business and drama among the people in the house, and so far handle them better without excessive gore and with less "300" imagery.

The fact is that even in B&S the lanista, his wife and other characters had stolen the lime light from Spartacus, who was just a typical film hero. This other characters are more life-like, more multidimensional and, for me, better played so they deserve a show for themselves. I never mustered the curiosity to watch the final episodes of B&S, but I can't wait to see the third episode of GotA.

• 4 weeks later...